Monday, November 26, 2007

How to Ice Bath

So you just finished up your long run, your legs are tired and you’re considering an ice bath but you’re not sure if you want to put up with the torture of sitting in ice cold water. As you often do when confronted with an unpleasant running situation you find yourself wondering “What Would Vanilla Do?” The answer to that question always runs through the path of least resistance, which you will no doubt see by reading on.

Far too often people go overboard with the ice, this is a MISTAKE! I recommend that you begin with 2 cups of ice. Now I know you’re thinking that 2 cups of ice doesn’t sound like anywhere close to enough, but hear me out on this.

Place the 2 cups of ice into a medium sized pitcher. Bathe the ice by adding the following:

  • 12 oz silver tequila. I am partial to the Milagro Silver Tequila, but you can use whatever tickles your fancy.
  • 8 oz Cointreau.
  • 8 oz freshly squeezed lime juice. Some people substitute frozen limeade concentrate here but it really tastes better with fresh lime juice.

Take the leftover lime skins and use them to wet the rim of your glass, then dip the glass into a plate of coarse salt - your body loses salt when you sweat you know.

Mix the contents of the pitcher well and then pour over ice into your already salted glass. Finally add a small umbrella or better yet a palm tree with a monkey on it. Some people may call this ‘girly’ or may disparage your manhood, but I never really liked those people anyway. If they’re laughing it’s just because they’re jealous and you don’t need them. Everyone knows a margarita tastes better when garnished with a monkey in a palm tree and it really adds to the ambiance.

Finally take your margarita out to the HOT TUB, being careful not to step on a pop-top or blow out your flip-flops, and climb in. Relax your aching muscles. During these cold winter months you will want to remember to bring the pitcher out with you so that you don’t get too cold running back in to refill your glass. Also, Half-Fast advises against ‘running’ to and from a hot tub after you’ve had a couple of margaritas. Remember, safety first.

Speedo’s are prohibited, swimming trunks are optional.

Best ice bath ever? Best ice bath ever.

Editorial Note: I am aware that I have some Mormon readers and perhaps there are some other teetotalers out there. Feel free to replace the margarita with a delightful Arnold Palmer (one part lemonade, one part iced-tea) and enjoy a sober soak in the hot tub. For the record, a sober soak in a hot tub still beats an inebriated soak in an ice bath.

UPDATE: The Editor is an idiot. Mormon commenter Topher informed me that Mormons do not partake of the tea either. Really? Even if it’s decaf? I thought it was just a caffeine thing. Anyway, I’m changing my suggestion to Freckled Lemonade. Enjoy.

25 comments:

  1. How did I know you'd be the first to comment on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet... now that's what i'm talkin' 'bout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally an ice bath that I could get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite kind of ice bath...real lime does definitely makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the ice bath recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA!! You are my kind of runner!! Hmmm...maybe running back to refill my glass could count as my speedwork for the week??

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the only ice bath that's sounded good to me, but how "long" does a run need to be to qualify for this ice bath?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one of your two, maybe three, Mo (Mormon) readers, I feel I need to tell you that not only do we not partake in "spirits" or "fire water", we also do not partake of tea. However, if you find any chilled drinks containing rootbeer or green jello (preferably without the shredded carrots), that would work just great. Thanks for the efforts to include us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is one dreamy ice bath.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wrong. So, so wrong. Here I sit, covered in ice-packs in my "I'm giving up alcohol until the marathon!" saddened sobriety. I look to my bloglines for some inspiration after a grueling run, and this is what I get? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Topher, I've updated the post with a new recommendation.

    Frayed Laces, your first mistake was coming to Half-Fast in search of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blogs... it is a great source of laughter and/or a smile at the end of a long day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwhhhhh yeah!!! That's what I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm. Freckled Lemonade sounds delich. Can't wait to try one. Now if I only had a hot tub... Maybe if I promise to vote for Romney he'll buy me one with his pocket change.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say, the title of this post left me cold.

    I was loath to dip one dainty foot into the reading of this blog. (What, you don't go feet first?) But I should have trusted you, Vanilla. I'm now mentally relaxing in a hot tub, umbrella'd drink in hand, sighing happily... hey, who put bubble bath into the hot tub?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I learned a lot about Mormons in this post. Interesting. No tea either? Like, not at all? Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for being a friend to Mormons on your blog, Vanilla. What a man!
    And, um, as far as the tea goes? That's a great question. I have no idea why we don't drink tea, other than the fact that we're told not to.
    I'll tell you what...I better be rewarded in heaven with some fancy electronics because my life of denial is getting just plain ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Topher, the freckled lemonade sounds fantastic. We're gonna get together, drink a whole pitcher each, and pretend that we're drunk. It's gonna be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I almost managed to block the stupid song out of my head but then I had to go and look at the tags you've got at the end of the post. And I know, it's my own damn fault.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like one good ice bath to me. Thanks for the tip Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm! I was considering an ice bath after my marathon on Saturday. After reading this... I have changed my mind!

    Susan
    www.irunformylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.