Saturday, November 10, 2007

Weekend Splits

Weekend Splits is my recap of things that I found interesting or humorous over the past week. If you have a submission for the weekend splits e-mail me.

I’m going to begin the Weekend Splits today on a serious note (a little ironic after the way I started out my previous post, I know). Bolder in Boulder is a great Triathlete blog. This past week he shared the story of losing his wife to breast cancer and announced a call to action for all bloggers. I can't say what he says any better than he did so I’ll just provide a link to the story.

Another Triathlete blog, Crash FistFight has a side-splitting-kick-you-in-the-crotch-spit-on-your-neck-hilarious entry that takes you on a magical journey down the virtual fashion catwalk of a 1977 JC Penny catalog. I had to close my office door when I read it because I was laughing so hard. I’ve since seen this posted various other places, but I first saw it at Crash FistFight so he get’s the nod here. UPDATE: The post has seemingly been taken down. You can find it at 15 minute lunch (original author, I believe).

Crabby McSlacker wins the award for goodest news of the week with what I will simply refer to as the Beer Post. The Beer Post over at Cranky Fitness, talks about a study that was done by some science-y people at some scientific institution or something, the details of which are not important. What is important is that these “experts” determined that drinking beer after a workout may actually help you rehydrate better than only drinking water. Predictably, Viper at The Booze Hounds Inc. Running Team was all over this idea this idea like ‘loud’ on a drunk, giving it his full support and endorsement. Now all we need is for someone to tell us that bacon is the best post race recovery food. Woo Hoo! Bacon and Beer after your run! Link to actual study.

Mary over at Sheesh lists 2 things she likes about running. Number 1: Stopping. I couldn’t agree more. Being done with your run is a great feeling, also from now on, stopping running = starting drinking beer. So, it’s got that going for it too. The number 2 thing... I’m not going to give away the whole post. Head on over there and read it for yourself. Also, check out the 2 things she hates about running. (Mary, you only have two?!?)

With Leather breaks the news that recent NYC Marathon winner Martin Lel was aided in his victory by his trainer’s adherence to carb loading and celibacy. Apparently Lel’s trainer had him eating pasta for lunch and dinner 4 days prior to the race and kept his girlfriend away from him for a fortnight. Lel’s trainer must subscribe to the theory of “no boom boom before big race.” Me on the other hand, I don’t just load up on carbs the night before a race, I... wait... you probably don’t need to hear that...

Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week
A pair of 8 year old twins were sick of being bullied and being given wedgies, their solution: Wedgie Proof Underwear. Fortunately for you dear reader, FOX News reported this hard-hitting exposé of bullying and the technology used to fight back, so there is video evidence to view.


This is nothing new, I own several pairs of tear-away underwear not because I’m afraid of bullies but because that’s how we sexy people get out of our underwear. BAM!! I just ripped off my underwear! Does that blow your mind? Incidentally I believe that this is the only time that it is OK to ask an 8 year-old boy “is your underwear around your knees?” without having charges filed against you. Sicko!
Thanks to Geekologie for the video.

7 comments:

  1. Bolder's story is an amazing one - makes you remember what is really important.

    Interesting thing on the JC Penny thing - I thought it was hilarious as well - but I found it in a different blog. Hum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not want to know this, but Bob Saget's tasteful t-shirt (via the JC Penny link) IS the current uniform of my footy team, the Adelaide Crows. http://www.afc.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tear away underwear is an awesome idea and those boys should get a richreward for thinking innovatively about being bullied. Of course, the better invention would've been some sort of shocking device -- I would like to see more bullies get tasered or shocked. Their parents too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla, I can't count above two! (English major)

    Unless, of course, I'm counting beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great week recap! My blog feel so mundane..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The JC Penney's post was hilarious, Mary is, as always, incredibly entertaining, and I have nothing very useful to contribute to the discussion of either pre-race celibacy or tear-away boys underwear. But thanks for telling me about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh great, now I'm predictable?

    And experience tells me that bacon IS good recovery food, especially candied bacon ... oh mama!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.