Saturday, November 17, 2007

Weekend Splits

Weekend Splits is my recap of things that I found interesting or humorous over the past week. If you have a submission for the weekend splits e-mail me.



Thanks to Adeel, who writes for the Complete Running Network, for the link to this post (bare runner cheeks warning) which contained the picture above as well as many other running ads that were a part of an old Adidas running campaign.

Lance provided some links and a video in this post that is well worth your time. The video is 6 seconds long if you only watch it once. I watched it more than that because I like to learn from laugh hysterically at the misfortune and stupidity of others.

In cold weather news Viper provided the Winter Rule Book (be sure to adhere to Rule #7), and Frayed Laces has some fashion tips for the ladies. Haven’t you always wanted a running skirt that’s hot enough to keep you warm at the same time as being cool enough to go clubbing in? If you haven’t read Frayed Laces’ blog then I encourage you to do so. From what I can tell she’s a fairly new runner who just ran her first half marathon in 1:43:03 1:42:49 ~time updated at the request of Her Royal Highness~ (a 7:51min/mile pace).

Don’t you just hate when new runners take up the sport and are already faster than you? This brings up a good point. Some of you asked what it meant to get “chicked,” a phrase I mentioned here. Getting “chicked” is being beaten by a girl in a race, more specifically I think of it as being passed by a girl. It’s an ego-deflator to be sure. If I were to race against Frayed Laces I would most certainly get “chicked.”

Speaking of chicks who are faster than me, Amy Lawson has an illustrated story of Marathon Training Incident #5. I don’t want to ruin the surprise if you haven’t read it yet, but it involves farting.

Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week
This weeks Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week comes from The Typing Makes Me Sound Busy, which is written by the talented J-Money who, come to think of it, is yet another chick who is faster than I am. This is getting depressing. I need to get faster, faster. Anyway, here’s the video, I think it’s some kind of 80’s fitness video that’s supposed to reduce wrinkles??



Many thanks to dietcokegrrl who e-mailed me the Star Wars Trumpet video. I was going to use it in this spot but chances are you’ve already seen it as it went viral in the past few days. If you haven’t seen it click the link and then watch in amazement and ask why dietcokegrrl hates you so much that she wanted to subject you to that.

I hope I haven’t offended any of the broads that I referred to as “chicks” in this post. I’m really not sure what the preferred terminology is, but you dames can let me know in the comments. Is it girls, ladies, women, gals, dolls, babes, birds, skirts, hussies, spinsters, old maids, damsels, senoritas, gold-diggers, floozies? Who knows, certainly not I.

Have a great weekend all!

11 comments:

  1. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very comfort of the home that I provide, and then insults the woman who provides it. I would rather you just said thank you beautiful, and went on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Dude, I think your wife just emotionally "chicked" you!

    Love the Adidas ad. I have had to squat in some rather unusual spots, and the fact that boys can just unzip is certainly one thing you wankers have to your advantage. Yes, I referred to you men as "wankers." What? Is that not acceptable terminology?

    (Actually, I wanted to list a whole bunch of derogatory man terms, but I couldn't really think of any -- or what I could think of may not be appropriate for me to list here. And when I consulted my Thesaurus? It didn't even list an entry for "men." Perhaps, you do not exist?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dames. Don't forget 'dames'.

    Also, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally own that "workout" video if you would like to borrow it. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever actually run PAST you some day, you can call me WHATEVER you want. CHICKED, a dame, or much much worse. I won't care if I am passing you :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always so much good information - appreciate the laughs on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am personally offended. In future posts, please refer to me as "your royal highness". Please note my half time was officially 1:42:49. Pleasure chickin' ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great week recap again.
    I am tagging you.
    A chick that will not pass you for a long while.
    http://imnotfittorun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wohoa you totally got chicked a couple times today...so is it being "dicked" when a man passes a woman? I think that sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those adidas ads ...

    or, its' also referred to as getting "girled". as in, "dude, you just got girled".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Adidas ads, too. But I think you should have put a "snot blowing" warning up rather than a bare buns warning.
    Have no fear, you will never get chicked or grannied by me!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.