Monday, November 19, 2007

Dr. Scholl is an Outrageous Liar

Almost 2 months ago I mentioned that I was experiencing a lot of pain in the balls of my feet when I ran for any length of time. Some of you mentioned that you had gone through the same kind of thing when increasing your mileage and that it eventually went away, so I decided to wait it out. Last week I decided that I was done waiting it out and that the problem was with my Mizuno shoes. A quick check of my training log revealed that they had soaked up little more than 200 miles and I really didn’t want to replace them yet, which is what led me to try Dr. Scholl’s Gel Sport Insoles.

What attracted me to these insoles was their claim to provide “Outrageous comfort for active feet.” I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a level of comfort for my feet that I’d describe as outrageous. I’d estimate that I’ve only ever experienced a ‘preposterous’ level of comfort, which as you probably know falls above ‘ludicrous’ comfort but below ‘outrageous’ comfort on the ‘ridiculously-overstated-comfort-scale.’ Needless to say I was ‘outrageously’ excited for my feet to feel a new level of comfy, one that I haven’t felt since my wife got rid of my sheepskin slippers.

I put the new Dr. Scholl’s inserts into my Mizunos on Friday night and went to sleep anticipating my long run on Saturday morning. I dreamt of comfortable things; goose down comforters and overstuffed chairs, while pillow-top mattresses danced in my head. When I awoke on Saturday I downed two cups of coffee so that the ‘outrageous comfort’ wouldn’t induce me back to sleep. I was beyond excited. I sat on the edge of the bed to put my shoes on. I loosened the laces, closed my eyes, held my breath, and braced myself for the comfortslaught that was about to wash over me. I slipped my feet into my newly insoled shoes and I waited. And waited. I cautiously opened one eye and glanced at the mirror to make sure I was in fact wearing the shoes. Something was amiss, my feet were not ‘outrageously comfortable.’

Convinced that I was doing something wrong I took the shoes off and double checked that I had installed the insoles correctly. Then it dawned on me. These were Sport Gels, so perhaps they weren’t going to exude comfort until I started running. I ran 10 miles on Saturday morning and while I am happy to report that I did not experience the level of pain that I have had in the past, I most certainly did not experience anything that I would describe as ‘outrageous comfort.’

While I am thankful to Dr. Scholl for providing me with a solution that should be able to see me through the end of my racing season (Dec. 15) I am disappointed that he felt the need to overzealously market his insoles. I will be writing a letter to Dr. Scholl and suggesting that they consider downgrading their description of this product to ‘admirable comfort’ for active feet.

14 comments:

  1. Do you think you can sue Dr. Scholl for malpractice? It seems you should be able to trust a prognosis of outrageous comfort.

    I think you just confirmed what I've heard about Mizunos: they wear down fast because they're so danged light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to stop drinking my coffee when I read your blog. I am going to short out my computer with the amount of liquid I spit on it laughing with glee at your posts. Thanks for the shout-out the other day--I was feeling Tyra Banks proud all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mizunos have less than 100 miles in them so far, but hopefully they last a little longer than 200!

    Of course, they were free, so I suppose that I won't miss out on too much if they do wear down fast. I have 3 more pairs coming when I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tsk, tsk, always blaming others for your troubles. Maybe the insoles work fine and it's your feet that are broken or your running form? I'm pretty sure you'll be hearing from Dr. Scholl himself, as he is going to be highly offended at being called a liar. I mean have you seen all of his degrees? I haven't, but you are more worldly than I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess you're not gellin'? I like the spenco's. They make a huge difference in my opinion. I put them in my shoes from day 1. The inserts you get with the shoes are worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the good doctor deserves a demotion?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO with viper on this one. Mizunos wear out really quickly. I don't get more than 250-300 out of them.
    But dang...I love my Mizunos more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm..learning something new about my Mizunos.

    Tell Dr. Scholl's that those leaf pads for my heels do not massage the balls of my feet like he promised either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...I'm beginning to wonder if Dr. Scholl is, in fact, even a doctor???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outrageous comfort?? Really?? That is quite the claim. It's an outrage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thought you should know you have inspired my latest post...Blame Game

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the amusing thoughts and inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that in your haste you missed the fine print. The package actually says, "Outrageously priced for so little comfort."

    First Dr. Pepper and now Dr. Scholl--they are all quacks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When they say "outrageous" they are implying that it will fill you with great "rage", once you realize it was a marketing ploy.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.