Thursday, April 10, 2008

Running on my Off Day

I ran last night when I got home. I wasn’t scheduled to run, but I did anyway. Normally I love those scheduled off days or cross training days as my schedule prefers to call them. I love getting home at night and knowing that I don’t have a run scheduled almost as much as I love Hot Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches, so what made me go run last night? This did:


How could I say no to that face? He just kept looking up at me with those big brown eyes, and then he’d jump up and go run to the back door. He was like Lassie trying to tell me that Timmy was stuck in a well, except he couldn’t have cared less about Timmy, he just wanted to sniff things and pee on them.

He hasn’t been able to run with me for a few weeks now because he can’t handle running further than 3 or 4 miles (he’s 8 years old) and all my training runs of late have been longer than that. He’s an Alaskan Malamute, just like those canines in Snow Dogs or Eight Below, except those movies are full of crap. For example, did you know that an Alaskan Malamute can’t run for more than 30 minutes without starting to drag way behind. I once took him on a 5 mile run with me and thought I was going to have to carry him home, and he weighs 90 lbs. Also, I’m not sure why they are classified as a ‘working breed’ since he’s never worked a day in his life. Of course there’s really not much time for it in between the 18 hours of sleeping, the licking oneself, and the dreaming of licking oneself. It’s a pretty busy schedule he keeps.

Nevertheless we went running last night. We ran 2 easy miles, and he acted like he was exhausted afterwards. He barely had enough energy to stick to his evening agenda, which looks like this:
  • Circle.
  • Lick self.
  • Go outside.
  • Come back inside.
  • Go outside.
  • Come back inside - continue ad infinitum (word score 4 points – take that Nitmos!)
  • Wait until ‘Dad’ starts watching TV, then play with loud squeaky toy.
  • Sleep.

15 comments:

  1. Aw, what a cutie! Even if he is lazy...

    A dude in town totally ties a harness around his malamute and himself and has the dog pull him around on cross-coutry skis.

    I contemplated doing this with my roommate's bichon, but for some reason I think that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what an adorable face! The dog, Vanilla, not you.

    I miss having my pets around, but I don't think either of my cats would take too kindly to me putting a leash on them and taking them for a run. I probably wouldn't have any appendages left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have gone with "perpetually" but if you are going to go all Latiny on me, I'd begrudgingly score a +8 for that. Unless you looked it up first, then -5 for cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you have a cool looking dog. When I run with my dog I imagine that we look like the grinch and that tiny little dog with the reindeer ears as she strains and pulls me up the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run with my dog too.. She actually stopped a quarter mile short of my house on a 5 mile run one time. I really thought I was going to have to carry her too. She's black and it was hot out. Luckily, my wife was coming down the street and had water with her. That was enough for her to stick out the rest of the walk (the dog, not my wife).

    Love my cross training (rest) days too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My golden retriever refuses to come running now. She hates it. In fact, walking is a bit of an effort for her, too, as she'd rather roll about on the grass and chew sticks.

    The last time I tried to take her, she walked a few feet, had a pee, then shot me a disdainful look, turned around, marched back to the garden gate and barked to be let back in. I gave up after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to take my dog out on a run. He gives me that same face. He only has 2 speeds: Lie on the couch and dead-ass sprint. That, and the last time we went running, though, he had to sniff/pee on every mailbox, rock, hydrant, 5 year old. I think I ended up with a 15:00/mile pace. Actually, that's only 1:00 under my usual pace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dog, Scooter, can't do more than 2 miles either, and with all the stops, it makes running very difficult.

    And Scooter too likes to bug you right when you've settled in to read or watch TV. Except he doesn't merely squeek a loud toy. he likes to bring it and press it against you, but then when you try and grab it to throw it, he runs off in a fun game called "please chase me while I hold this toy!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, what a sweet dog and a great running partner when you don't wear him out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At 8 years old, I think it is okay for him to be lazy. :)

    Our lab does the same "let's go for a run" eye trick on us from time to time when he feels frisky (he's a ripe old 7 years himself and has 18 inches of steel in his leg from a car accident 6 years ago - our bionic dog). God love our running hounds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute puppy!
    My dog won't run with me. I mean, he would if I would take him but I'm not at the point where I can consistantly run a sub 5 min mile. Yet.
    Or ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My big black working kelpie bounces several feet into the air if he thinks I'm going for a run, and it's very hard to leave him at home. I love running with my dogs, they're great company.
    Your pup is soooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, well, you try going for a five-mile run when you're wearing a fur coat! It's hard to be fashionable and exercise your human at the same time ;)

    And there's nothing wrong with Latin phrases per se, though you wouldn't want to keep using them ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I myself have a competitive German Short-haired Pointer at home.

    We ran a small 10K and started at the back so we weren't in anyones way, but he was having nothing to do with that. He wanted to be up front. After 5K of pulling he was so tired that he sat down under a table at a water point. He got a ride to the finish and a DNF.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.