Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Half-Fast 1 Year Anniversary!

We are gathered here today, as much as you can really “gather” at a website, to honor this monumental occasion that is the one year anniversary of Half-Fast. It was exactly a year ago today that I sat down at my computer and shifted my personality into hyper-geek by clicking on the “create blog” button. I had no idea at the time whether I would be able to find enough worthwhile material to keep me posting 4-5 times a week for a full year. One year and 256 posts later it turns out that no, I didn’t have enough worthwhile material, but I just kept on posting anyway.

I have had a lot of fun with Half-Fast over the past year and feel like I’ve gotten to know many of my faithful readers. I have always maintained that Half-Fast was here to provide humor, that it was not here to provide any technical advice or coaching. I have always stated that my intent was not to provide inspiration or motivation, but writing Half-Fast has both motivated and inspired me at various times, which is why I have been faced with a difficult decision. I have accepted a new position with my current employer that will be taking up a lot more of my time and I was already feeling like I was taking time away from my family to write posts for Half-Fast, you may have noticed that I hadn’t posted the Weekend Splits in the past 2 weeks. As a result of these changes, I am going to be taking some time away from writing this blog. I will try to occasionally post some updates and will perhaps try to talk my wife into writing some more posts for Half-Fast, I had her write a post last week to test the response it received.

This is not something that has been an easy decision for me, and I have been wrestling with it for the past couple of weeks. It does however, seem to have a pleasant symmetry to it since it has been exactly one year since I started writing Half-Fast. I will continue to run the Shave Your 5K Challenge, and will occasionally post updates. As much as is possible I will also continue to read all of your blogs, so you’ll see me commenting from time to time.

UPDATE: If you’re not reading this entry on the date that it was posted then you should go back and check the date, and the tags.

33 comments:

  1. It fell apart when you mentioned having a "new position with your current employer". I suspect anyone you work for would never give you another position in their company outside of Senior Bathroom Attendant (assuming you are not currently Junior Bathroom Attendant making it a promotion.) Stick to rubber spiders and plastic barf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmn... my post for today was equally serious but it had the added advantage that if anyone buys it they'll send me lots of money, which always sounds like a good idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a pisser of a way to celebrate an anniversary, now isn't it???

    I'm seriously disappointed!

    I've done the same thing and it stinks. Just quit working--you'll have more time to blog and to spend with your family.

    Thankfully, I'm reducing my hours by half, so I'll be back on the blogging boat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, ok, you got me.

    You're seriously on my bad side lately Vanilla...seriously.

    Ok, I'm off to take a break. It's only my third of the day--I'm swamped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad I read this after others already commented, because I would have missed the joke and thought you were serious and been really flippin' disappointed. Thanks to Nitmos for clueing me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn you! I totally forgot what today was.

    Ouch Nitmos got you baaaddd homie, you better be prepared to bring it on. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait . . .so is this really your 1 year blog anniversary or was that a lie too? I'm checking . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla -- the key is to NOT accept the comments acknowledging they get the joke. That way you can fool more people (like I have, although now I feel bad after reading all their heartfelt comments).

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK HAPPY 1 YEAR!! Make it a little harder for me to scroll through your archives would ya? :P

    Do I get brownie points for jacking the comments up BTW? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you totally had me until I read all the comments.

    Nice job nice job indeed on a fabulous April Fool's post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You started Half Fast on April 1st? The Internets are thick with ironies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RazZDoodle, it only seemed appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *YAWN* I expected more from you--- you had to go and copy Ovens2Betsy? Come on, what about some saran wrap on the toilet seat or something?

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason I just knew you would have a April Fools post today.

    Actually in year two I am looking forward to you producing a PODCAST. I enjoy your humor and am sure it would make a long run go by fast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had me fooled until I read the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've already unwittingly fallen for an April Fool's prank this morning, so I was already on the lookout. Nice try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was about to be sad...but I LOVE reading your wife......so I wasn't gonna be super sad, I mean you'd be liek the divoreced parent...we'd see you occasionally, it won't be so bad!!! We still will have the great "I *heart*NIKE" writer & then I remembered....

    it is April 1.

    Happy Anniversary Vanilla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was about to be sad...but I LOVE reading your wife......so I wasn't gonna be super sad, I mean you'd be liek the divoreced parent...we'd see you occasionally, it won't be so bad!!! We still will have the great "I *heart*NIKE" writer & then I remembered....

    it is April 1.

    Happy Anniversary Vanilla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You so had me until I read the tags! Nice job! :>D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad I read the comments first..
    good one

    ReplyDelete
  21. Almost had me too. The tags gave me a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man! I was celebrating until I realized that it's April Fool's Day. Dawg. We still have to put up with the mess that Vanilla puts up here?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the anniversary, I've enjoyed reading your blog. It's also the 1st birthday of Guinness, my canine running buddy, so definitely a cause for celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah right! With all the free stuff you have been scoring, there's no way you would quit this gig.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A promotion? In this economy? Nice try. Personally, I'm disappointed it's a joke. I was hoping you'd start sending me all the free stuff you get. But I'm happy I'll still have your blog as a time suck when I should be working.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vanilla your darling wife is a wedding planner...any tips she might have on how to get money back from my total not a planner person who took all my money and called herself a planner? I wanted to try kung fu, but I'm awful...plus that's a little violent and I'm trying to peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Darn, you had me completely fooled because I stopped reading before I got to the tags. And to think I had already posted something similar to your post on MY blog!!! My excuse is that our time zones are so different....

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.