Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Personal Running Log - August 2008

I’m beginning to realize that I have a tendency to miss some runs after a race, and it doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a 5K or a half marathon. You can see below that after the Georgetown Half Marathon it took me a week to get back out there and run again, and do you think that I’ve gone running since the Skirt Chaser 5K on Saturday? Nope, sure haven’t. If only my wife would have bought me some dedication for my birthday.

Instead of dedication, I got an entry into the Denver Gorilla Run, which I’m really excited about. I was considering this race a few months ago, which some of you may remember, but hopefully not too many of you because I’m just going to repost what I already posted. A quote from a previous entry is a quick and easy lazy way to fill a blog post. Here’s what I wrote on June 18th:

The next race up for consideration is the Denver Gorilla Run, those of you who voted that I should do the slip ‘n’ slide (90% of you) will like this one because you have to run dressed as a Gorilla. It’s a 5.6K but other than that I don’t know much about it. Apparently the proceeds go to the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund to benefit the Mountain Gorillas, probably by building them new schools and providing them text books or something. Anyway, they give you a Gorilla suit and you get to keep it! I’ve always wanted to own my own gorilla suit so if I participate in this race it will be one more thing that I can cross off my bucket list. Prizes are awarded for Highest Fundraising Gorilla, First to Finish, Furthest Traveled Gorilla and Most Creative Gorilla costume (i.e. what you add to your monkey suit to make it stand out). I’m thinking The Vanilla Gorilla costume is a shoe-in for first place. Shoes! I bet the proceeds go towards new shoes for the gorillas.

The most likely hindrance to me participating in this event is the high entry fee ($150). I guess that’s attributable to the gorilla suits that they give out and the rising cost of gorilla text books. The best thing about this race, other than it being a good excuse to keep calling everyone a “damned dirty ape,” is that I have never run a 5.6K (who has?) which means that it would be a PR by default. Anytime you can guarantee yourself a PR just by completing an event, that’s a good thing.


DateRouteTypeDistanceTimePace
8/30/2008MiscLong8 Mi1:18:509:52
8/28/20087 Miles Out & BackTempo7 Mi1:04:359:14
8/26/20085 Miles Out & BackCrappy5 Mi48:489:46
8/21/20085 Miles Out & BackTempo5 Mi42:578:36
8/19/20085 Miles Out & BackIntervals (4x800)5 Mi43:598:48
8/16/20087 Miles Out & BackEasy7 Mi1:06:539:34
8/9/2008Georgetown HalfRace13.1 Mi1:56:458:55
8/6/2008TreadmillTempo4 Mi35:498:58
8/4/2008TrackIntervals (4x400)4 Mi35:298:53
8/2/20086 Mile LoopLong6 Mi52:418:47
8/1/20085 Miles Out & BackTempo5 Mi44:038:49
Totals:
Distance: 69.1 miles
Total Time: 10:30:49

15 comments:

  1. I need to add "Crappy" to my running types. Good luck on running like a damned dirty ape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crappy = Junk in the Trunk Miles?

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, "Crappy" is really the only way to describe a run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gorillas. I bet gorillas somewhere have their own race in which they don human suits. That's how smart they are. Hmmm...wait a sec...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you are going to be lazy and repost what you already wrrote, I'm going to simply recomment what I already commented:

    "Beer vs. Gorilla? Wow, this is a decision for the ages. Good luck with that one."

    Doesn't really make sense with your current post but it sure was easy and I guess that's how we are doing things these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get to keep the Gorilla suit, think about how many races you can run in a Gorilla suit! Move over lucky blue racing shirt, you have been replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should discuss the term "crappy" in relation to a run. I had a crappy run yesterday. Really knocks the ol' ego down a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should send you my gorilla in a pink tu-tu suit! you won't believe me if I told you why we have it!

    If only I lived closer, I could do the run!

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday:)
    Love how the wifey got you 'dedication' for your bday!

    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just reading about the Gorilla run in RW; cool that you get to be a part of it! Make sure your wife gets plenty of pics of you in that gorilla suit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is off topic, but I'll be in Denver on business this weekend (staying at the Hyatt Regency). I'd love to get a few trail runs in, but won't have a car to drive to any of the state parks ... as a local, do you have any recommendations for downtown trails or a nice course?

    Thanks,
    Eric Gagliano
    egagliano@marketmatch.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad's restaurant has a gorilla theme. Maybe he'll sponsor you if you wear one of his t-shirts over the suit? Or you know, not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Benefits go to Mountain Gorillas? I'm thinking you should go as an alpine gorilla. Lederhosen would look smashing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ROFLMAO on FL's comment. I second with the Lederhosen.

    Be careful, there will be plenty of banana peels on the road if you elect to run in your Gorilla attire.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.