Wednesday, September 17, 2008

K.I.S.S.


Hi, this is Candis again. Ian asked me to mention that you can read more of his drivel (drivel is my word, I think he used “prose”) over at Linden’s Pensieve today because Linden asked several bloggers for advice before her marathon. Why anyone would ask Ian’s advice on marathoning is beyond my comprehension. Speaking of running a marathon, I’m certain that Ian finally decided to run one so that he could announce it this week and overshadow my Sprint Triathlon that is ONLY 4 DAYS AWAY!!

Tick. Tick. Tick... the last time I heard the clock’s every tick I was waiting to go into labor. I am just as nervous for my upcoming Sprint Triathlon. I understand it is no Iron Man, no ½ Iron Man, no Olympic Tri but that’s because I am not that obsessed... yet.

I’m a simple girl. OK that’s not true at all, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t like simple running plans, simple race plans and simple packing plans. This is not that plan. There is nothing simple about it.

So for now, pretend it’s challenging and for you pure runners, revel in my idiocy of attempting two sports too many.

Pack Plan

  • Tri Shorts
  • Tri Top
  • 2 hair rubber bands
  • Extra contacts
  • Pam
  • Wet suit
  • Plastic bag
  • Goggles
  • 2 swim caps
  • Nose plug
  • Inhaler!!!
  • Kashi bar
  • Garmin
  • Half towel
  • Socks
  • Shoes w/ elastic laces
  • Wind jacket
  • Sport Beans/SHOT Bloks
  • 1 bottle iced Accelerade
  • 1 bottle water
  • Tube
  • Tire tool
  • CO2 canister & pump
  • Mini screwdriver
  • Pump
  • BIKE!!!
  • Mark bike w/ number
  • Helmet!
  • Sunglasses
  • Belt
  • Safety pins
  • Bib
  • Timing chip
  • Flag for transition spot?
  • Sweats/sweatshirt
  • Bag
  • My mind

Race Plan

  • Set Up Transition
  • Find landmark to remember it
  • Mark arms
  • Timing tag
  • Check enter/exit spots for T1, T2 & Finish
  • CALM DOWN
  • Start swim at back right
  • Start slower speed up
  • STRONG & STEADY SWIM
  • Stay to right at buoys
  • Peel wet suit down to waist and remove swim gear by T1
  • T1
  • Drink at start of bike
  • Eat Sport Beans at mile 4
  • PUSH ON BIKE
  • T2
  • BIB ON!!!
  • Fight through the first 0.3 miles
  • Try not to get caught in race photos looking like this.
  • 10 minute miles for run
  • Whoop & Holler at Finish Line
  • Drink Pitcher Margaritas [Ed. Note: I’d like to add one more after that one: Get taken advantage of by loving husband.]
I am VERY excited to just run after my tri is over. Ian’s simple running plan has been taunting me. For months I have been calculating the arc tangent of the 7 day week to discover the Pythagorean Theorem of muscle recovery and hydration percentages marked by the stupidity of the bored runner.

Of course, we always want what we don’t have. In 2 months I’ll just want to swim and ride my bike, yeah right.

19 comments:

  1. It's so true - I want a healthy ankle; can't have it! Best of luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vava- ahh the rotating injuries. you might get a healthy ankle and a bum knee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candis have a great time. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sprints can hurt more than Ironnman races! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! You've just solidified why I won't be doing a tri: TOO MUCH PLANNING! And I can't swim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Candis... but I've gotta ask - what's the Pam for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a brave (and well organized) woman. I'm sitting here debating what's scariest about a triathlon to me, and finally came up with "Everything." Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For what it's worth, I've heard a tri is nothing like labor. Except the pain part. Then it is everything like labor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam is like body glide- for wet suit neck chafing. and safe for material.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candis, you left out the "Have Fun" part of your plan. Good luck and have fun. We want a race report when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a mylar balloon is good for marking your bike location.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candis, now that I've done only 3 Sprints and am training for an Olympic on 10/6, I can tell you it just takes one.

    Some suggestions, but your inhaler in your bento box and then swap it into a pocket for the run during or before T2.

    Open your blocks/beans or gu and put it in your bento box before you start the race.

    I always carry 2 CO canisters in case I blow one.

    Also, get chalk or a balloon. If you get there before transition opens, you'll most likely get an end cap, which is where you want to be, easy to find. But if you bring a balloon, it will serve as your flag.

    Feel free to tell me take a hike because you have plenty of other Tri buddies giving you advice.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck!! I'm sure you will do wonderful due to all your training... and of course his profound advice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! I'm loving the pink top.

    Oh, and how you have three (!!!) exclamation points after BIKE.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good luck candis! can't wait to hear how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah Candice!! Don't listen to Nitmos, tri's are nothing like labor. :D You are clearly the more advanced species balancing and rocking 3 sports!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That long list is EXACTLY why I'm too scared to sign up for a tri.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.