Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hydration Made Easy

I’ve finally solved the age old problem of how to hydrate on a run without having to wear a fuel belt (which just looks awkward), or carry a water bottle (which just freezes your hand and tilts your kilter). This past week Candis and I found ourselves without our children on several occasions thanks to their grandparents, who unimaginably seem to enjoy spending time with the dirt-covered, balls of energy that we’ve produced. It was on one such peaceful afternoon that I decided to head out for a run, and since we are one of those annoyingly cute couples that still enjoy each other’s company, Candis decided to tag along on her bike.

I took full advantage of this situation and loaded Candis up with water bottles, Clif SHOT Gels, and anything else that I thought I might need on my run. It was fantastic. Whenever I needed a drink I just snapped my fingers and barked “Water!” I’d douse myself with cool water like an Olympic marathoner and then toss the bottle to the side of the road, because if the Olympic marathoners can do it, then I can too. Of course since we had a limited supply, Candis would jump down from her bike, scurry off to the side of the road to pick up the water bottle and then catch back up with me. Being the loving husband that I am I never once complained about how long it took her to do this.

After a couple of miles I was really getting the hang of running with a cyclist and I was demanding assistance like an entitled actor with an oversized ego. “Hold my sunglasses,” “give me a SHOT Gel,” “take my hat,” “give me back my sunglasses and hat,” “no, no, no, hand me the hat first and then the sunglasses, are you trying to make me slower?” “Go on ahead and push the button for the crosswalk and make sure you time it so that I don’t have to slow down.” I even considered asking her to wipe the sweat from my brow, but she looked so wobbly with all those things in her hands that I was worried she’d accidentally hit me with the handlebars. Perhaps once she gets a little better at this we’ll give that one a shot.

It was a good run, and I think that we both enjoyed my company. It’s really nice to have water available without having to figure out how to carry it, and I plan on doing many more runs with my wife at my side. I highly recommend this method of carrying water on runs for those of you with spouses or children who can ride bikes. It’s time to put your family to work for your benefit, you won’t be disappointed.

21 comments:

  1. Your wife must be a saint. Actually, all wives must be saints because I have too rode along with my hubby & he's not much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife wouldn't ride with me. She'd run over me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been employing this approach for months. You're just catching on NOW? I plan to use my husband as my Personal SAG Vehicle this coming Saturday on my first-ever 20-miler, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take you up on this recommendation. For this weekend's long run, can your wife ride support for me also?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending this link to my wife. Awesome idea! Once the kids get bigger more water and accessories can be brought along for the run. Forget PVRs, strap a flat panel and a satellite dish to the tykes and let them ride ahead of you. I assume you also enjoyed your company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very funny! I usually have to carry stuff for my wife when we run together, and I doubt I could convince her to provide sag duties from a bike...I can't get her onto a bike in the first place.

    One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always to trying to one-up me. And succeeding. Damn!

    At least you've added to the "pros" column of marriage.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for not elaborating on how you efficiently avoided having to stop for a "bio-break".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally did the same thing with my dad on his bike this weekend. A driver even pulled over to ask my dad if he was my coach, and I had to bite my tongue from saying, "Hell no, he's my waterboy!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm glad you had a nice run, although I can see why you'd be worried that your wife would "accidentally" hit you request she wipe the sweat from your brow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must make a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wholeheartedly agree with jkrunning: your wife is a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need me a wife like that.

    Wait...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually just started this with my boyfriend because he thinks my runs are far to long for him to complete... I agree the whole fuel belt is very awkward, and running with something in my hand is just a little too much for me sometimes. I guess I'll just have to employ my family a little more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband might throw water bottles at my head... I agree with Amy, you must make a lot of money. I have used that hydration technique with my daughter though... worked very well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And now to get the boy into biking...

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's your "crew"!

    I thought since you mentioned the kids early int he post, that you were going to have them running water, etc to you. I mean, why not? Aren't kids for errands of that sort?

    ReplyDelete
  18. In cycling, they have a word for that, that word is domestique.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been doing this for years with the kids and various other friends. It just ain't worth getting hitched just for the free built-in water boy...

    Works like a charm, if you can get somebody to agree to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're ever resourceful, always finding ways to get those freeloaders to work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I was your wife, I'd tell you to carry your own friggin' water.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.