Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother’s Day!

How much do I love my Mom? Enough to write a special Mother’s Day post! Happy Mother’s day to all of you mothers out there. I hope that your family is leaving you in peace so that you can read Half-Fast, I know that’s probably how you wanted to spend your day. Also happy Mother’s Day to my wife, who told me that what she really wanted to do tonight was watch the Red Sox game. I’ll be making dinner which means that we’ll be having something that you can grill, probably steak with some lobster on the side.

It occurs to me this Mother’s Day that I never told the story of my Mom’s parting advice right before I left to run the marathon in Arizona. I won’t bore you with the entire counsel but it boiled down to something like this; you have a family to think of now, and people die all the time running marathons, and you’re responsible for a family, and if you aren’t feeling good at some point during the marathon then it’s best to just quit, because people die all the time at marathons, and you shouldn’t take any chances, and did I mention that you could die so be careful and quit early. Worst marathon advice ever? Worst marathon advice ever. Thanks Mom! I love you. (This will be a good test of whether my Mom is still reading my blog.)

The following video is exactly how I imagine my boys taking a Mother’s Day picture when they are old enough to have a place of their own. When will that be? It can’t come soon enough.

13 comments:

  1. Yeah, telling your son he's likely to die during his race is a bit dramatic, but I hope you still wore clean underwear just in case you did have to get carted to the hospital that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother's advice made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahhaa, you mom is awesome. Glad you didn't die like all those other people

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is important for mothers to think of things like this. I bet, when you had finished and not died, that she told you to buckle your seatbelt because people die in car accidents all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! I want these dayum kids outta here already. Too bad we have more than a DECADE to go, Vanilla! A DECADE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom's advice is awesome. I told my grandma yesterday that I was thinking of running a 5 mile race in a few weeks, and she said, "that seems more sensible than those marathons. I'm just thankful you haven't died yet."

    Awww, grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL great advice from your mom! (I am now having flashbacks to the explanation I have to Shortie2 this weekend about why he should not run away from me in public places. It boiled down to, "If you run away, someone will steal you and you will never get to see mommy and daddy again." His response? "Will I get to see my blankie again?") Yeah, moms are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's hilarious! My Mom gave me a similar speach a couple of weeks ago, and I've never even run a marathon. She was really adamant that a significant number of people die at EVERY marathon! Makes one wonder where these Moms get their information...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speech. Speech! Damn it I hate spelling mistakes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The advice is great! It's just like the advice you get from non-runners who say that "running is bad for you knees...." so therefore they stuff their faces with ice cream and wonder why they got so fat. I'll take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hilarious. I know; people are very concerned of marathoners dying, aren't they? Well, glad you didn't die, otherwise I might actually be working right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the video!
    i haven't seen that in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, I love your mom, even if she does give the worst advice possible. Hopefully she stays away from mile 20 of any Marathon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.