Friday, May 29, 2009

We’re Going Streaking!

You remember that stupid post a couple of weeks ago where I said something about running every day for the month of June? Of course you do, because you all enjoy holding me to my stupid ideas. Well, I’ve decided that I’m doing it. I need a change of pace from the FIRST plan that has worked so well for me (until recently) and what could be more different than switching from only running 3 days a week to running every day of every week. (If this doesn’t work I’m going to try not running at all.) Starting on Monday I’m going streaking, streaking through June and you’re all invited to join me, after all, misery loves company.

I’ll be using the same rules that the US Running Streak Association uses per the recommendation of Ace, whose blog you should NOT check out because it will reveal that he has run every day for over 500 days now and that will totally dwarf your opinion of my pathetic attempt at 30 days. Basically the rules state that you have to run one continuous mile every calendar day under your own power. Treadmill miles are acceptable but undesirable.

So that’s it. I’m doing it. No excuses, no breaks, no exceptions*. I’m going to run every day period. In fact that will be the name of the challenge, Run Every Day Period or RED Period for short... uhhh... no... wait... that doesn’t sound like an every-day-of-the-month thing. (Please don’t ever let that be an every-day-of-the-month-thing!) Since I’ll be running for thirty straight days, we could call it the Straight Thirty Days Test or the STD Tes... huh, maybe not. How about Streakfest? Or 30 days of Suck? Or Streakapalooza ‘09? Or Vanilla Is A Guy Running Around? Or Injury Watch ’09? Or not-as-big-a-deal-as-I’m-making-it-attention-grabbing-stunt? Your votes and suggestions in the comments.

*Exceptions:
Runner (me) will not be required to run a mile in calendar days when he gets less than 4 hours of sleep during the previous night or when the average number of sleep hours for the past 3 days is less than 6 hours of sleep per night (but not to exceed 10 hours) after adjusting the data to remove the outlying high and low numbers. Additionally, the runner will not be required to run a mile when the number of hours worked in a day exceeds the number of hours slept during the previous night or when the runner simply does not feel like running. Finally, any miles run in excess of the minimum 1 mile/day may be carried over and applied to the following days. OK FINE. I’m just joking about the exceptions, there are no exceptions.

I’m going to call out Turi and Audrey here because they mentioned that they might do it too and this will help pressure them into it.

Have a good weekend and be sure to come back Monday for Candis’ race report which is sure to include plenty of gloating.

23 comments:

  1. 30 Days of Suck could be construed otherwise. Just saying.

    I find it's not worth going out for a run unless I get in at least three miles. All that time getting into my running kit and then trying not to look like a hot mess afterward is pretty time consuming. Having said that, if I sustain a head injury within the next two days, I may join you. But probably not.

    Have a great weekend. Oh and, btw, I can't wait for Candis' post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bah. you're making it all panty weight. ali, over at laugh, live, run, did the same thing a while back but she did a minimum of 5k per day, no exceptions and she's a GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weak! Absolutely Weak.

    Why don't you see how many days in a row you can sleep at least one hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Xenia that 30 Days of Suck could be seen as having other implications. Plus, if nothing has happened after, say, 21 or so days of sucking it probably never will and you should just conclude that you're doing it wrong or Maybe He's Just Not That Into You.

    How about He's an Undeterred Marathon Man Eternally Running?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock on dude! I recommend some title like "Half-Fast Does the Month of June, then realizes he has an obsessive/compulsive streak and keeps going!" (Might be hard to fit on a tee-shirt) Colorado streakers unite! (And not just at the pumpkin run!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about Running In Month of June Or Bust?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I look forward to next week.

    Monday = Candis' Super terrific Gloatfest.

    Tuesday = The reason why your streak ended already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could always drop down to going 2 days a week.

    Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where shall we set the over/under on this challenge? 15 days? I say under.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude!

    I'm almost tempted ... almost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Hey Honey! We're going streaking through the Quad. Do you think the KFC's still open?"

    Lauren- was that a rim job reference??? very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! Both to your brain and your ligaments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To be followed by 30 days of laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who wrote this? "No excuses, no breaks, no exceptions" does not sound like you.

    I didn't think of the laundry implications... this may not go well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are hilarious! Love the titles you came up with. Hmmm...this is one challenge I'll have to be sure to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I'm in. One rest day, then let's get started!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is tempting....
    Good luck with your streaking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totlaly thought abotu the laundry too! Poor Candis, you better be prepared to wear somethign stinky.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok - I'm in for it. No point trying it if I don't make it public. Maybe this will get me back on the running wagon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.