Monday, May 18, 2009

It’s Bolder Boulder Week

That’s right running fans the Bolder Boulder 10K is held every Memorial Day and I’m proclaiming this week Bolder Boulder Week here at Half-Fast. The Bolder Boulder was the first race I ever ran and has become the annual yardstick against which I measure my running progress. Things you can expect to see here at Half-Fast during Bolder Boulder Week include: an in depth discussion of my race goals, some preliminary excuses that I can circle back to if I fail, posts that yo-yo back and forth between boastful arrogance and hopeless defeatism, Candis’ race goals and an advanced handicapping system that will allow her to compete against me, a complex pacing strategy that I will abandon within the first mile of the race, my post race meet-up location so that you can ask me to sign your race bib, delusions of grandeur. It’s going to be a busy week.

In past years I have never doubted my ability to PR in this race because every year my training runs preceding the race have been significantly faster than they were the prior year. This year my training paces have been pretty inconsistent and at best could only be considered marginally faster than they were last year. At worst they could even be considered slower.

In this post in February I stated that one of my goals this year was to run a sub 50 minute 10K which would require an 8 minute mile pace. Two weeks ago I ran 4 straight tempo miles at a 7:56 pace which was very encouraging but then last week I ran some 1 mile intervals where the goal pace was 7:40/mile and they went like this: 8:08, 8:12, 8:22. Very discouraging, not to mention disastrously inconsistent.

As I was pouring over my training log and contemplating what these inconsistent results meant Candis sent me a link to an article on Runner’s World. Not being much of a reader, I skimmed through it until I saw a nice looking chart that just happened to contain the secret to my success for achieving a sub 50 minute 10K. It basically says that if you lose 10lbs you will unequivocally shave 2 minutes and 4 seconds from your 10K time. My 10K time? 52:07. So really after I drop 10lbs this week all I need to do is be 4 seconds faster than I was last year, and even I can do that, right? Right? Plus, think how healthy I’ll be after losing 10lbs in one week. Win-win my friends, win-win.

15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this handicapping system. If it works (for Candis) I may adopt it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some adderall and a colonoscopy and you should be all set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla - Sooper Jeaneeus

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 lbs in one week - I've seen the Biggest Losers do that - shouldn't be an issue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. why does that plan have 'free ambulance ride away from the race' written all over it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 10lbs in a week. How do you plan on doing this? Please share...

    And, I'll also be racing in the infamous 10k on Monday. I have hopes of PRing, but we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm If this is true, I just have to loose 20 lbs in 2 weeks! Perfect. Just call me the biggest loser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can probably just sweat 10 lbs out, no problem. Hit the sauna every day this week and remember not to drink anything except alcohol and coffee. I see a PR in this strategy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck staying away from the Oreos, fatty.

    I can't wait for you to set this year's 10-K time so I can beat it in July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great option for quick weightloss of 10lbs in a week is childbirth. In your case, I suggest giving birth to your liver; you can get it back after the race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time to break out the lemon juice and cayenne pepper, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you considered a heroin addiction? Those people are really thin. That means they must be really fast too, right? And here I thought it was the heroin this whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i meant we could lose 2 lbs and shave 25 seconds off- but yours is funnier :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! And then you could lose 10 lbs the next week, and then again and again until you are a world record contender!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.