Friday, August 7, 2009

Just a PR, ma’am

That’s all I’m after at the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon tomorrow, just a PR. There was a time in my running when attaining a PR was just a given at every race. That no longer seems to be the case and I’m learning to be OK with that (read: taking it out on my family). However having missed a PR at the Gut Buster 5K last weekend and at the Bolder Boulder 10K this year (the first time I haven’t PR’d that particular race) I’m in desperate need of a PR. I’m in need of some feel-goodery (that should totally be a word).

My current PR for the half marathon distance is 1:56:45, which was set at this same race last year incidentally, and I’ll be happy if I post a time that’s even one second faster because it will still represent a chest-thumping PR. It will help me to answer the nagging voices in my head that keep telling me I’m getting slower. Furthermore it will help me to answer all of you people in the comments who find something in every post to say “see, this is why you’re getting slower,” you know who you are.

The Runner’s World SmartCoach program that I’ve been following says that I should be able to complete the race at an 8:32 pace in 1:52:00. I’m planning on starting out a little slower than that and building up to it as the race progresses. I want to run this race a little more conservatively than I normally would for a couple of reasons: 1) Last year I started out too fast and the combination of running downhill and over-zealous speed led to cramping up in the final miles. 2) I don’t need 1:52, I need a PR. Not that I wouldn’t love to have 1:52 or even better, but this isn’t the race that I’m going to go after it. I have another half marathon coming up in October and maybe I’ll set some outrageous goal for that race and see if I can start fast and hold on.

Good luck to everyone else who is racing this weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Well, good luck!

    Just to be safe though, I'm going to start crafting my 'this is why you are getting slower' comment for your race report. Don't make me have to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and I hope you run so fast that people ask if your legs were coated in Biofreeze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You start slow you finish slow. Don't run not to lose - run to win!

    Come on - bang out 13.1 8:30 miles and you'll have something to be proud of.

    Unless it is hot, or cold, or rainy, or sunny or...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word of advice: ignore any wildlife you see along the course and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that's a tough race. I don't envy you. But, good luck anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! :) Can't wait to read the race report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let gravity do its thing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. I see the PR on tomorrow's horizon. start a little slow to finish strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! Either way, I'm sure it will be entertaining to read your report.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since you were polite and used "ma'am," I'm sure you'll get it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Luck; if you get your PR it will certainly make me more confident about using the Run Coach for my upcoming marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the race was great for you; there was a 7-mile downhill (7% grade) on our route for WWR and at the end of that section, every runner's quads were totally trashed. Hopefully that didn't happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the race was great for you; there was a 7-mile downhill (7% grade) on our route for WWR and at the end of that section, every runner's quads were totally trashed. Hopefully that didn't happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you're crafting a triumphant race report that I'll skim over later. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.