Monday, August 3, 2009

It’s Just a Hill... Get Over It!

Granby Gut Buster 5K Race Report
This past weekend we joined Candis’ parents at their cabin in Grand Lake, CO for a little R and R, which stood for Running and Racing. As luck would have it Saturday was the 21st Annual Granby Gut Buster 5K in the nearby town of Granby and even though I have the Georgetown half marathon this coming Saturday I was itching to race and too impatient to wait 7 more days. So on Saturday morning Candis, David (age 6) and I all headed out to test our mettle on the race course while Graham (age 4) decided to stay at the cabin and test his Grandparent’s mettle.

As we drove to the race I daydreamed that I was crossing the finish line with a new PR, breaking the tape and being showered with roses from adoring fans. I was rudely jarred out of my daydream by a roadside sign that read ‘Welcome to Granby, Elev. 7982.’ My confidence in a PR slipped a little. It slipped a little more when we registered and were handed our race shirts that had a picture of a runner on a mountain with the slogan: ‘It’s Just a Hill... Get Over It!’ I was disheartened to notice that there were a lot of steep hills around us. However, there appeared to be fewer than 100 participants and I figured that might lead to the elusive age group award that I’ve been chasing for some time now.

In the first mile of the race we did indeed run up a steep hill, which was followed by more steep uphill sections. Seemingly around every turn we were faced with another uphill climb and I was feeling winded from the lack of oxygen and from starting out way too fast. The good news was that this course was a loop, so I knew that the downhills were coming.

As we started the downhill section of the course I was no longer thinking about a PR, instead I was keeping my eye on the people around me and attempting to stay ahead of the guys who looked to be in their 30s. I was OK being passed by anyone that wasn’t competing in my age group until somewhere in mile 2 I was passed by an 11 year old girl wearing Kinesio tape on her calves. Oh crap! This would not do. I hung on a few steps behind her, determined not to let her get away from me.

We hit the final mile and I was still hanging on. As we made our way around a hairpin turn we were able to see the runners trailing us and I noticed a guy not far behind me that looked to be in his 30s. He was clearly trying to steal my age group award and I would have none of it. I pushed the pace and tried to ignore my distressed breathing. My push away from the age group award thief put me closer to Kinesio tape girl and I used my momentum to get past her, but I failed to pass with authority and could hear her settle in a few yards behind me.

As we came down the penultimate stretch before turning to the finish we ran past Kinesio tape girl’s father who I later learned is a High School track coach. He was screaming at her like an overbearing parent to start her finishing kick and to run like this was the final 200 meters, despite the fact that we still had over a quarter mile to go. I heard her footfalls quicken and she began closing the gap. (I can actually feel you all rooting for her as I type this.) I waited until she was right on my shoulder before starting my own kick and I separated from her again, but a quick glance at my Garmin revealed we had a quarter mile to go. I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold this pace for that long and hoped against hope that she would fade before I did. She did not. As I started to slow down she bounded past me, apparently unaffected by fatigue. I thought briefly about summoning one more surge, one more kick, but I decided against it because I was fast approaching the puke threshold and the only thing worse than a 33 year old man losing to an 11 year old girl would be for him to lose and then puke his guts out at the finish line. Plus, I didn’t want to be the guy that let his competitive spirit get out of hand and outkicked the sweet little blond girl, crushing her spirit in defeat. At the same time I didn’t want to be the guy that got beat by an 11 year old girl, but that’s the guy I ended up being.

I crossed the line with a time of 24:53 (8:01 pace), missing my PR by 25 seconds. I stood at the finish with no PR and having just been beaten by an 11 year old girl. The only thing that was going to save this race was if I finished in the top 3 in my age group. Seriously, in a small mountain town with roughly 88 racers how many males could there possibly be who were in their 30s and faster than me? I won’t keep you in suspense. The answer to that question is 3, there were 3 men faster than me in their 30s who showed up that morning which left me off the podium.

I wallowed in the post race cookies which were pretty good (although they tasted vaguely like failure and disappointment) and waited for my son to finish his first ever 5K. When he crossed the finish line with Candis in 42:30 I was so proud of him that all of my shortcomings were completely erased. His splits were 15:48, 13:27, 12:19.

A cotton T-shirt? Rookie!

30 comments:

  1. "I can actually feel you all rooting for her as I type this."

    You know us too well.

    Congrats on getting your ass handed to you by a tween. And congrats to David. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we really want to know is if David won his age group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often try this same thing - picking out someone who I think it would be embarrasing to lose to - and trying to beat them.

    Often it doesn't work. In fact, losing to a women pushing her baby in a stroller might be worse then losing to an eleven year old girl.

    Looks like the son edged the wife in a photo finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got pigtailed. Classic Vanilla.

    I bet your son beat you with age grading times. Congratulations...to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Failure, it's what we come here for.

    At least you're faster than your son -- for now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Failure cookies sometimes don't go down too well.

    I have no idea why you didn't trip that 11 year-old girl. It's like I don't even know you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned that kids are freakishly fast. I don't count them as people in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am surprised you took the high road. I can actually picture you tripping her mid-stride---should have tried that with one of your age groupers :) Nice job at a high elevation!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kid is amazing!!! He will be on a podium one day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your kid!

    It won't be long before he'll pass you up, and it will include a bathroom break on his part... Really. Get ready.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With those negative splits, I give it 4 years before he kicks your ass too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats to David for his first 5K race, well done. also, having thoroughly enjoyed your race report, I strongly suggest you begin to coach your son. it may save you further moments such as utter defeat by a 11 year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. penultimate....my brain hurts.

    Christ, David is creeping up on me. I need to do some speedwork. Congrats to him and "ha ha" to you.

    Wuss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I once ran a 2 mile fun run with my basset hound and people were so very sad that they were being beat by her. I'm sure that would have been way worse for you than an 11 yr old girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not just an 11 yr old girl, but an 11 yr old girl with a stage parent and who runs enough to require Kinesio tape. Sorry to point that out. I'm sure it was just the elevation and she'd been training at altitude for months.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't puke on me when you pass me at the GTIS half this weekend. I will be the one without any kinky tape or whatever you call it and the one who smells like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow congrats on a giant failure. I, ahem, captured my second AG win this weekend. Eat that up Vanilla bean. :)

    BUT I must commend you for your sons triumphs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool about David, I like seeing that.

    Now the clock is ticking for him to take you down for alpha male of the house!

    I first beat my Dad in a 5k at the age of 14, I think it took a low 20's to beat the old man.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ShutUpAndRun - I've seen your PRs, I don't imagine I'll be passing you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bah, I know exactly how you feel! I'll be the only commenter to offer sympathy. I had about 3 11-year olds beat me in my first 5K.. what are these kids eating??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's nothing quite like the humiliation of being beat by children and the elderly.

    Congrats to your son on his finish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had these prepubescent kids beat me before. I've never had an AG award either. I think I need to move to where the slower peeps are, which apparently won't be Grand Lake, CO.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've totally been beat by a lady pushing 2 toddlers in a jogging stroller. I'm still not sure how she pushed them up the fricken hills but she did it. Then after the race the kids were messing around and tipped the stroller over, I laughed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice of you to let that 11 year-old girl win. Gentlemanly indeed, right from the Court of Chivalry...

    And your little guy completed his first 5k! That's amazing! How old? My 7 year-old is asking if he could try one already, and I've been telling him he's too young to enter. Could it be that I am wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that you handicapped your child with that moisture-trapping cotton shirt. You know if he'd had Under Armour, he'd have beat you hands down!

    I'm not judging, though. I'm doing everything in my power to keep my 19-year-old son at bay. He's got cotton shirts, ill fitting shorts and really craptastic running shoes. Every night I file away more of his tread so that I maintain my tiny, tiny lead.

    Keep chasing that AG award - it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, you didn't push the puke threshold? You gotta sacrifice your body for the win.

    Your son looks like he is having a BLAST.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A near-PR on a course that promotes itself as hilly? Sounds like you ran a gutsy (but not TOO gutsy ... watch that puke threshold) race.

    The photo of your wife and son is beautiful -- her encouragement and his joyful finish-line leap are heart-warming.

    Congrats on an all-round excellent day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL. Great report. ... and your 6-yr old would have passed me, even with the cotton shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Negative splits?! Your son's already a smarter runner than most.

    So close to the AG award. Bitter cookies indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So you got chicked by an 11 year old? Is that technically prediactricked?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.