Thursday, August 27, 2009

Unnatural

Some of you are not going to like what I have to say today. I know this because my reader has recently been speckled with more and more posts about Vibram Five Fingers and the benefits of barefoot running. My quarrel is not so much against barefoot running or those funny little hobbit shoes but more against the argument used to promote it which goes something like this: ‘Barefoot running is more natural and therefore better.’ I’m not buying it.

We’re supposed to believe that primitive man ran barefoot and so it’s the best way to do it, but you know what? There are a lot of things that came naturally to primitive man that we no longer do and I, for one, am happy about that. For example, do you know how primitive man trimmed his toenails? He didn’t! The toenails just wore themselves down from all that running around barefoot or broke off when they got too long or when he stubbed his fat little toes on rocks. In fact, I postulate that primitive man only ran barefoot as a means of toenail control and that had he owned a pair of nail clippers he’d have been hunting down behemoths in Nike Waffle shoes long before the 70s.

Just because the human body does something naturally doesn’t make it better or more efficient. As evidence I offer this heartily abridged list of things that are fake (not natural) and are vastly improved because of it: Meat Paste, Demi Moore’s face, Pamela Anderson’s chest, Cool Whip (interesting that this would be the next thing that came to mind after Pam Anderson, no?), Cheez Whiz, *breaks into song* ‘these are a few of my favorite things.’

If you played any kind of sports growing up then you have experienced a coach showing you a better way to throw, hit, shoot, etc. (followed by sobbing into your pillow at home if you’re like me) because your body doesn’t always naturally do things the most efficient way. As my son has been learning to play baseball his natural inclination was to throw with his feet firmly planted perpendicular to his line of throw. He had to be coached to step with the opposite foot when he throws, but now that he has learned this behavior he is able to throw with much more efficiency and effectiveness.

Even if natural was better, I’m not convinced that running barefoot is more natural than running in shoes. The human body is incredibly adaptive. When your parents first put shoes on your feet and you began walking and running, you didn’t make a conscious effort to change your stride, your body ‘naturally’ switched up your foot-strike pattern. Your body was smart enough to recognize the innovation of the shoes and adapt to them. Couldn’t you argue then that the way you run with shoes on your feet is also pretty natural? You could, because I just did. It doesn’t really matter though since I’ve already established that natural isn’t necessarily better.

To sum up: 1) Natural doesn’t necessarily equal better. 2) Running barefoot isn’t natural. That might seem a little contradictory but this is the kind of circular logic that I like to employ because it’s very hard to argue with. Go ahead and try arguing with me *sticks fingers in ears* “la la la la la la I can’t hear you!”

For actual scientific analysis of such matters I point you back to this article by Science of Sport. They agree with me... at least I think they do. I didn’t fully understand everything they said due to their use of big sciency words. We get it guys, you’re smart.

26 comments:

  1. Wow. A nice well reasoned blog about the importance of wearing shoes. I agree with you 100%. Mankind has the capability to actually improve on 'natural.'

    There must be others that agree - I mean I never see anyone running in those bigfeet shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primitive man didn't wear pants, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting that science cannot agree on this issue. I am a "Minimalist" Runner out of necessity (biomechanical issue) and it works for me. That said, I fully agree that Minimalist Running is not for everyone. In fact, I would recommend that if any Purist starts in on why running natural is better, just nod your head, smile and excuse yourself to go get another beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't understand. It's all part of a multi-phase marketing plan to sell you performance enhancement. Phase two comes in the form of woolly mammoths to chase and saber tooth tigers to run away from. They will guarantee that the tiger will improve your 800m time. At least once.

    I might believe the proforma, except I have a hard time believing there is repeat business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. primitive women didn't wear bras either. That would create havoc at races I think...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I disagree with both approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just don't understand why I should buy shoes that simulate barefoot running at similar prices as non-barefoot shoes.

    And don't those Vibram things remind you of those slipper socks with the grips on the soles? I just got an idea ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. No kidding, Viper. Especially when the REAL natural thing (your actual bare feet) are free! I mean, if you're going to preach "natural" then go all the way with it at least.

    Besides that, the only thing they make me think of are hobbits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quote from "The Princess Bride" in your tag! And with such an appreciated reference, I cannot argue with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following the that's the way our ancestors did it (or would have done it) argument, wouldn't baseball be a hoot?! Pitcher throws a rock, batter swings with a stick or a dinosaur bone, outfielder dies when the stone hits him right in the forehead. You'd have to have a pretty deep bench to sustain a 162 game season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I run in Vibrams, and I'm training for a marathon in them. Naked. All those high heeled running shoes totally screw up your feet.

    Also, chicks think Vibrams are cool.

    And high-heeled shoes look stupid and overly inflated.

    Like Pamela Anderson's fake breasts.

    Oh. Wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree about the Vibrams - I was tempted but don't think I could tolerate the ridicule from my wife. I'd only wear them if I was dressing up as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
    If your son was a caveman, he would have learnt to throw his rock (or his spear) straight and hard or he would have died. Survival of the fittest.
    I think you will find that his initial problem with throwing was probably due to his English heritage - how is his catching?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen. Feet like hands creep me the hell out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was funny. Even funnier is the fact that your google ads are feeding me ads for vibram shoes! Barefoot is best and everyone knows it but is afraid to admit that the shoe companies have bamboozled us for so long...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sure as heck hope those "natural" runners don't wear tech fabric....hypocrites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No funny comment here. Just:

    Agree agree agree agree.

    I really think that a LOT of people wear those just to say that they do or to participate in the fad.

    Either way, I suppose, I'm glad they are getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I know is that the guy I saw wearing the vibrams at a business conference with a shirt and tie, looked kinda funny....

    ReplyDelete
  18. When Bowerman was inventing the modern day running shoe his thinking was that by landing on the heel your stride length would be longer, thus you would be able to run faster. Thus, not natural.

    Even with shoes on, I land on my midfoot. What I love about the Vibrams is my feet have gotten considerable stronger and I do about 15 miles per week in them.

    A few years ago the Podiatrist told me to avoid being barefoot to help with my plantar fasciitis. At the time if I went barefoot in the house, on hard floors, my feet ached after 5 minutes, thus I put shoes on.

    Now, I go barefoot all the time. You know what, my feet got stronger and they no longer hurt when I go barefoot. Foolish podiatrist.

    The other strong point in McDougals book is the more cushion you have on your feet the harder you will land, because your body is looking for a firm spot. Thus, less cushion in your shoes = less impact.

    Your legs and muscles should be absorbing the impact when running and if you think a piece of foam does much to absorb 10x your body weight, you're wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bare feet (even the well-kept, fresh pedicured kind) are nasty. Plain. And. Simple.

    One exception. Baby feet. Now bare baby feet are adorable. If you are a baby, feel free to run barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Thinnmann: You're still getting bamboozled if you're buying "barefoot" shoes by paying for something you got for free. Sack up and go barefoot for real.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Nature" gave me flat feet and ITBS. I'll stick with my orthotics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "I had injury problems early on, and it became apparent that my biomechanics could cause injury. So we did foot strengthening drills and special walks in bare feet."
    "I was a size twelve and flat-footed, and now I'm a nine or ten. As the muscles in my feet got stronger, my arch got higher." - Alan Webb

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Is it possible that clever product development, based on theories and concepts, have actually forced the body into a "wrong" response that has increased injury risk in the long term? And is there a chance that if we just left physiology to its own devices, and managed every case individually, we'd be better off?"

    I think you misinterpreted that article a bit, based on the excerpt above. They seem pretty clear that from a biomechanical standpoint, barefoot is a pretty solid option. Also, given that injury rates have actually increased in the years of modern footwear, it's certainly plausible to think that we should just leave things alone.

    Barefoot running isn't for everyone, for sure ... but just because you don't "get" it or don't see the benefit, you probably shouldn't speak out too harshly against those who do. There's room enough on the playground for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree. I'll take my Sauconys anyday. Forget the biomechanics..what if you step on a rock? Or in gum or glass??

    ReplyDelete
  25. I dunno. Why not just run barefoot and let the callouses on your feet take the beating instead of froking over money for vibrams? I have a friend that wears them. They are beyond crazy looking. She swears they feel good. Of course she doesn't run which makes me wonder why she has them in the first place. Anyhoo... Meat paste? What is meat paste?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know how I feel about barefoot running because I have not tried it, but the analogy to baseball is wrong. Running is a natural human activity. Baseball is not. See how we cannot compare them to produce valid arguments?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.