Monday, August 31, 2009

9 Lousy Seconds

That was how far I finished behind Candis on Saturday evening. Candis finished in 27:41, shaving 2 full minutes off her 5K PR. What the hell? Sandbagger! I finished in 24:50 which is not a PR but that’s quickly becoming tired meme on this blog so I won’t pursue it any further. Congrats to Candis for destroying her old PR, I wasn’t planning on her being able to go sub-28, but it turns out that her desire to beat me is a pretty strong motivator. I actually think she’s been employing the rope-a-dope against me. Remember that Triathlon she just finished, the one where she shaved 10 minutes off her previous time? She ran a 30+ minute 5K in that. Also, at the Granby Gut Buster she conveniently ran with our 6 year old so I wouldn’t know how fast she was. I can’t remember the last time she actually tried in a 5K.

I gave it my all during the final downhill stretch of the race and couldn’t catch her. I didn’t even see her until she made the final turn towards the finish line. At that point she was no more than a block away from finishing and I was still a couple hundred yards behind her. I was still gaining on her but it became apparent pretty quickly that I wasn’t going to catch her. As we crossed the line we were funneled into overly congested chutes so that they could tear the tags off our bibs (it was not chip timed) and somehow Candis managed to get into the most congested chute. I was through the chutes at least a minute ahead of Candis and was hoping worried that they were going to mess up the official times and show that I had beaten her. They did mess up the official times, adding between 15-20 seconds to our times, but still had her 3 seconds ahead of me.

The after-party is somewhat of a meat market as they try to cater to the singles crowd with fashion shows and dating games and the like. They’re still foisting Dale’s Pale Ale (which is not good) on an unsuspecting crowd, but they also gave us Chipotle Burritos and Mad Greens salads, so I suppose the beer faux pas can be forgiven. We were fortunate enough to meet up with Simon (from RunColo) & his wife Kelly after the race and they were gracious enough to not tell us their times and pretend that ours were impressive. That façade quickly faded though when Kelly had to go up on stage to collect her 3rd place prize. Yes, 3rd place overall. Congrats to Kelly and Simon who are both obscenely fast.

Congrats again to Candis. She is getting faster by leaps and bounds and I’m proud of her. 90 percent proud and 10 percent annoyed. Well... maybe 70 percent proud and 30 percent annoyed. Okay, okay, 25 percent proud, 75 percent annoyed. Fine, if this happens again we will NOT be on speaking terms.

20 comments:

  1. I don't know who Dale is, but I will avoid his Pale Ale. Women are sneaky and conniving. I have no doubt that the last couple of months have gone exactly how Candis planned them,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candis owned you... ha ha ha. :) I'm sorry that you still haven't gotten your pr, but one day, i believe perhaps you will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what is the ignominious punishment you must now endure? Or is the shame and humiliation from her post o' gloating enough?

    At least you still have a super secret running streak to fall back on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, chicked by your own wife. For shame! You have some serious training to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. real gloating won't begin until I'm faster than Ian... then i'll just smile and NEVER bring it up. It'll be about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job Candis, well done on a new PR and crushing your husband. perhaps we should be reading about your training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Candis.
    Dale's Pale Ale confuses me, because I thought the whole premise was the can...I see it on tap here all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgive bad beer? I don't think you're English after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Candis!

    And Ian, if you had for Christ's sake just gotten rid of those cargo shorts you'd have beat her for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that Candis... she is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You would have PR'd if you'd worn your cargo shorts. That will never get old with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you should wear bleacher shorty shorts, then people would want the long shorts back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work guys and by guys I mean Candis.

    Good to see the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. check your cargo shorts - maybe your wife put weights in the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to know I'm not the only resentful person in a running couple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats on the pr, but i gotta ask...what's with dissin' the Dale's Pale Ale? You'd rather have a crappy macro-brew???

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I first read "9 Lousy Seconds", I thought to myself, "O, this post is gonna be about Vanilla's married life." And it is. But just not in the sense I thought it would be.

    I should have known you could never last 9 seconds.

    But ... in your defense ... what man can? We're not machines!

    Congratulations to Candis.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.