Wednesday, September 12, 2007

To Stretch or Not To Stretch

Let me start this post by thanking everyone for their concerns and show of support as I looked for my motivation. It was touch and go there for a while but I finally found Figment hiding under the bathroom scales in the form of 3 extra pounds. (Hey, it was an awesome birthday weekend, what can I say). I was back on my running schedule again on Monday evening with some intervals.

Now on to the topic at hand. Stretching. I hate it. Always have. I get my gear on and I'm ready to go, but then I have to take 10 - 15 minutes to stretch, it just delays me from getting to my running. In every organized sport that I've ever played we've always had to stretch before every game and every practice, so I've always assumed that I should stretch before running. Turns out that might not be the best idea, at least according to this article. How did I not know this? I've found several articles since that one that even suggest stretching before running could actually cause injury. Admittedly, I have done zero, zip, zilch, nada, nil, no research on this whatsoever, but I can tell you that I'm already a die hard believer in the no stretching before running rule, because quite frankly I hate stretching. This might be the best news that I have heard since my lawyer told me that those charges would never stick.

Now I realize that there are many more experienced runners who read this blog and to those runners I probably sound more ignorant than the comments section of a YouTube video right now, but it has never even occurred to me that stretching might have negative effects. How many of you already knew this? And if you did, why didn't you tell me? Make me feel stupid in the comments.

Incidentally, you can purchase that wonderful stretching machine that's pictured above by clicking on the picture. It may come in useful if you need to torture some medieval peasants and you can't find your stocks.

18 comments:

  1. Just like any other aspect of running, there are arguments that support either side of stretching. I think if you're injured, it's wise to stretch both before and after. But, I too often never stretch -- probably doesn't help with the reoccuring cases of ITBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it makes sense to stretch warm muscles only.

    And if I repeat saying that often, I might actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read alot of articles and research on stretching. I usually stretch after I warm up, stretching cold does seem to increase my own chances of injury. Currently, I stretch after 5 to 10 minutes of running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard this argument before. There is logic in the cold muscle theory, but my muscles ache so much that sometimes I have to stretch first if there is any hope of me running.

    I think I benefit more from stretching after a run and between runs. I just don't stretch enough.

    The stretching machine will looking wonderful beside my giddy up machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do stretch first, but it is well beforehand, 30-60 minutes. Everyone is different. Do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not say that I streatch before running, but after I end up walking to cool down and if I am with the wife she makes me streach after running. I hate it also. I know I should do more, and I probably will. That machine looks like it would hurt, there should be a warning on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of what I've read nay-says stretching cold muscles. I'm not a big fan of stopping once I start running, so I usually 'warm up' a little bit with push ups or bouncing around like an idiot.

    Although stretching before a run goes either way, I've never heard anything bad about stretching afterwards. Afterwards helps recovery big time.

    Since I started stretching properly, my knee problems have completely vanished, if that serves for any form of motivation for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMFG I'd dying of laughter over that machine. It looks like something you'd see in a gyno's office.

    I never stretch before running. Always take it easy and then build to normal pace. I do stretch afterwards though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me start by quoting Forrest Gump. "I am not a smart man"

    I do not stretch before I run. Sure I do one deep knee bend and the obligatory reach back and pull on each leg as I kick it to my butt (one at a time of course). But that is it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No stretches compare to what the first part of run can do. As far as afterwards, I enjoy it, my wife calls it rolling on the floor and stinking up the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No we don't stretch before we run, and we didn't tell you because you have been on double secret probation. Plus, you probably looked really silly out on the trail stretching your cold muscles. Just think of all the smiles you must have generated among the non-stretching runners who were watching you. We're letting you in on it now because you need to spend that stretching time running off those 3 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can stretch before a run- but not static stretches where you just hold your leg etc- but you can swing your legs back and forward etc and that counts as stretching- I am sure that is what you have been doing right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. warm up first, and then stretch.

    I did it once, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As someone who reads way to many magazines, I could have told you not to stretch first. You just come to me with any future questions and I'll keep you in line. Ok fine, I'm not a professional or anything and you probably run more than I do, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i never stretch before i run. i always stretch after i run.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me? I never stretch before a run and hardly ever afterward.

    I do some quad exercises from time-to-time but mostly before a competition.

    Everyone is different.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even the Hudson Hornet knew not to stretch before running.

    Just as I suspected I'm the only one who didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always stretch after my run.
    But getting stiffer every day. So not sure it's helpful. But it is a nice way to cool down...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.