Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ka-Chow! Race Report

The Chamber Challenge 5K
Candis and I stood poised at the start. There were maybe 200 entrants and we were somewhere around the middle of the pack. I'm disappointed to discover that the guy dressed as the Chik-Fil-A cow is not running, and he appears to be the only person in a costume. Well him and some other guy who's dressed in drag... no... wait... that's really a woman. Eeesh! An official looking man is talking over the loud speaker but we can't hear him through the wind and excited chatter of the crowd. Searching for a mantra to use, the first thing that comes to mind is "Speed. I am speed. Faster than fast. Quicker than quick. Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer." That's from the movie Cars for those of you that don't have kids, and yes, my boys have been watching it a lot lately.

Hey, where's everyone going? The front group of runners is already leaving and I didn't even hear a starter's pistol. I give Candis a quick kiss for luck (aww, that's so sweet!) and we head out. I had debated running with her and pacing her, but she told me I didn't have to, and since I am worthless at picking up on non-verbal hints I leave at my own pace.

I finish the first mile in 8:40. The McMillan Running Calculator had predicted an 8:41 pace for me, it's annoyingly accurate. If I can just plug numbers into a website and find out how fast I am what's the point in actually running? Why not forget about running the Denver Half Marathon and just let McMillan give me my PR for that distance too?

Somewhere around mile 2 a couple of ladies pass me, one of them is wearing a running skirt that looks a lot like mine, and the other one has an abnormally large caboose for a woman of her stature. Seriously, baby got back! I determine that I'm going to keep up with them and pass them before the finish, but I'm starting to feel a little out of breath and I let 'Skirt' and 'Caboose' get too far ahead of me.

We enter the final stretch of the race and move from a concrete golf-cart path onto grass as we circumnavigate the driving range. Judging by the clumps of fresh clippings it has recently been mowed, but it is still very thick and spongy. It's like running on a bouncy castle and even though I try to ignore the small piles of grass mulch, I still find myself bobbing and weaving like they were the gates of a slalom course. What's wrong with you? This is going to slow you down! I can't seem to stop myself though.

I finally force myself to look ahead, ignoring the grass I see 'Caboose' right in front of me, her pace has slowed considerably. The finish is close and it's time for me to turn it up a notch. I pass her and scarcely manage to keep myself from taunting her with "unhitch the trailer," but I can't conceal a smile. 'Skirt' is not too far ahead and as she turns a corner she motions for 'Caboose' to hurry up and come join her. Oh, hell no! I'm not about to get 'chicked' this close to the finish. I push the pace even harder, and not only does 'Caboose' not catch me, but I even outkick 'Skirt' to the finish in what felt like a full out sprint. The Eat Mor Chikin cow is trying to high five everyone as they finish and in my head I'm thinking how funny it would be to tackle him at full speed. I decide against it because I'm pretty sure that assaulting the mascot results in immediate forfeiture of your post race meal, and if I can't have the food then what's the point in even running a race in the first place?

Official results have not been posted yet but according to my watch I finished in 27:03 which is a PR by default (first official 5K race) and equates to an average pace of 8:43 per mile. Ha! Take that McMillan Running Calculator, you were off by 2 seconds per mile. I'll post the official time and some race pictures when they become available, and I'm still hopeful that Candis will write her own race report which I'll post here.

20 comments:

  1. So was that floatin' like a cadillac or stingin' like a beamer? You blog like you run... lousy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope, not amy. and your blogging/running isn't lousy. That's just my favorite part of the movie and i couldn't pass up the chance to use the line.

    love,
    doc

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your first 5k and a PR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the race!

    So, did you leave your wife in the dust, or did she smoke your ass?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bets are . . . she smoked his ass :P Either that or she let him win. We must boost their egos from time to time.

    Awesome job homie!!!! ;D ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever read a race report quite like yours. I really enjoyed it and can relate to the "you're not going to beat me" feeling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure she let him win. Since he isn't very good at the subtle hints, I bet she didn't want to hurt his male pride either ;)

    I was LOL at the running skirt part...the images that flashed through my mind were too much!

    Awesome race and report...can't wait for the wife's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great race report! Congrats on your first 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good report and great run. before long you'll be running in all the local 5k's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your report, I felt like I was running right beside you, side stepping the grass turds and catching the two ladies, I am out of breath now lol...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was perhaps the best race report I have ever read. I think you have started a new form of race report - what we were "really" thinking when running a race rather than what we think we should have been thinking about!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, that wasn't me. But yes, I can quote that entire movie.

    Nice race stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen that McMillan calculator before...how fun! Gotta love new toys and gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great, now i'm wondering what dudes think of me when i race!

    but great job! glad you had fun to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should have tackled the cow. I would bought you a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was hoping to infuriate you. Did do it, huh? Damn it :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excuse me I meant "Didn't" DOH!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely been in the situation where I was about to be "chicked" at the end of a race. You really bust out the horsepower then. Congrats--you stung like a beemer.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.