Friday, September 14, 2007

Half-Fast - Now With 50% More Cross Training!

As you know if you've been reading this blog for any length of time I've been using the FIRST half marathon training plan. This plan calls for 3 runs a week and 2 or 3 cross training days. Until now, I've been using soccer as one of my cross training days and doing strength training for the other. I'll now by adding a third cross training day by riding my brand new bike! My lovely wife got it for me on my birthday, it was a total surprise. Almost. (More on that story here, if you're so inclined.)

No, unfortunately mine does not have cool spinners like this one.


I'm so excited. I haven't owned a bike since I was 15, because I figured once I could drive what was the point of a bike? Remember those days? When you were too cool to be seen riding a bike because you drove a car. I remember driving around during the summer months with Will Smith's Summertime blasting on the speakers, wearing my mirrored sunglasses and rockin' a hyper-color T-shirt. How cool was I? (That's rhetorical, please don't answer it.)

Anyway, here's a list of things that I know about bike's:

  • They have 2 wheels.
  • You have to pedal them to make them go.
  • They have gears.
  • The seat is not comfortable - I learned this from my first ride this past week.

And that pretty much sums up my knowledge on the subject. So if you know of any helpful websites or have any helpful advice for a newbie cyclist like "don't ride on the street against oncoming traffic like a runner," or "don't stretch cold muscles before you cycle" (where were you guys on that one?) then please feel free to leave it in the comments or shoot me an e-mail.

I don't plan on becoming a serious cyclist or even competing in triathlons, I'm just a runner who doesn't want to have to run every freakin' day, so this is something that will help me to maintain fitness on days that I'm not running.

10 comments:

  1. Please, please, please tell me your wife got you one with a bell on the handle and a basket on the front :P

    Sweet!!! I know nothing about bikes myself and they scare the crap out of me (at least riding them on the roads with cars and dead animals scares me :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice wheels!

    Wow, that girl is running every freakin day? That is awesome. I bet she is pretty and smart too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I only know as much as you do about bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your old bike is in Mom and Dad's basement. You could have just asked for that one back, it's pretty sweet, even has a place to put the matching blue water bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only suggestion is to get good biking shorts with a chamois in the, um, crotch. Helps me with the chaffing on my rides into work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there's always Richard's Cycling for Fitness, by John Schubert. It was written by a guy who used to be a runner, but got tired of being sidelined by injuries so much. Plans out a schedule to work your way up to doing centuries (100 mile rides).

    http://www.amazon.com/Richards-Cycling-Fitness-John-Schubert/dp/0345341171

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi,
    i clicked on your page from amy lawson's blog.
    i am training for my first marathon! it's in november. i just wanted to write and say hi and that your blog is perfect for me right now... i feel like the only people i get in this world at the moment are runners. does the fact that i am obsessed with training for my marathon only prove that i have no life? haha.
    so, thanks for creating a place for runners to congregate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a bike for my bday too. It really does help to break up the week. My local bike shop has this "tips" page that I have been going thru bit by bit...but like you I am pretty much in the dark.
    http://cycling-fitness.com/page.cfm?pageID=22

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been contemplating the bike thing, but my last memories (like 10 years ago) of being on a bike were not such happy ones. I lack in coordination and fear congested traffic. In addition, I dont look good in hats and think the helmet would not flatter my look. Oh the dilemma. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.bikeforums.net
    very active forums with tons of helpful information

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.