Thursday, October 25, 2007

Can’t You See I’m Running

Thank you to those of you who reminded me in yesterday’s comments that 9 days is an eternity for a runner to not be running. I did finally go out and run last night. Sometimes it’s just good to give your body a rest and take some extended time off. Oh, who am I kidding sometimes it’s just good to be a lazy bum and do nothing. I loved it!

Last night as I was out running I noticed an old lady walking way up ahead of me on the trail. She was wearing a purple shirt and a purple hat and was yapping at everyone that passed within earshot of her. I could see it coming. For those of you who are not into sports the Colorado Rockies (purple) are currently playing the Boston Red Sox in the World Series. Last night was Game 1 which saw the Red Sox beat the Rockies like a red-headed step-child, but this didn’t occur until after my run.

As she heard me approaching from behind she yelled over her shoulder “what a beautiful evening!” Now I don’t mind saying “hi” to a fellow runner and I’ll even offer a “good evening” to someone who greets me, but I’m trying to run here. I’m usually far too out of breath or too tired to chit-chat, so I try to halt this burgeoning conversation with a short answer.
“Yup.” It doesn’t work.
“Beautiful night for our Rockies to win their first World Series” she says as I’m now right beside her. Now I’m a little annoyed. First of all the game was at Fenway in Boston so it really doesn’t matter that we were having beautiful weather in Colorado. Second of all it’s a best-of-seven format so neither team will be winning the World Series tonight and finally, they’re not OUR Rockies because I’m a lifelong Red Sox fan. I realize that she could have meant that it was a beautiful night to be watching the Rockies on TV and she could have meant ‘win their first World Series game,’ but like I said I was already annoyed that she was trying to strike up a conversation with me while I was running. Despite all this I restrained myself from yelling “go Sox” because I know that Boston fans have a reputation for being obnoxious, know-it-alls, who think they’re better than everyone else and I certainly don’t want to feed into that stereotype. I gave the lady a thumbs-up and hoped that she’d take my non-verbal hint that I was done with this conversation. No such luck.
“I think they’re going to win! Don’t you think they’ll win?” she asked, as I was now well ahead of her.
I turned around, jogging backwards I said to her “I just hope that Beckett pitches well tonight!” she smiled, nodded her head and gave me a clueless thumbs-up. Again for those of you who don’t follow baseball Josh Beckett was the Game 1 starting pitcher for the Red Sox.

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful. I was running without my MP3 player, I didn’t have a specific time goal in mind and it was kind of liberating. I was just running. It feels good to be back.

Editor’s Note: I promise not to turn this into a sports blog during the World Series, but this was too good a story to pass up.

14 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate that? Both people trying to strike up a conversation while you're running, and also people who suddenly become baseball fans in October?

    Too bad for me, though... Beckett did pitch well last night. Sad night for Rockies fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

    Cheers to that. And cheers to getting back to running.

    Red Sox, schmed socks! They've only scored 36 runs in the past three games. Big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reason #2,592 to wear headphones while running. You can just pretend you don't hear people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viper lol- we quote that all the time. lazy is fun- it's not sexy and buff though. Somethings got to keep us coming back, otherwise- I'd just sit and watch the Sox run up the score with my New England Clam Chowder and Boston Creme Pie.- ahh those are two great reasons to run...maybe to the store?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with POM -- where the mp3 and you'll never have to whisper another unwanted "hello."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought I would stop calling J.D. Drew, Nancy Drew but I did. Playoffs are a funny thing.

    I know your feeling right now. I was living in Philly during the Patriots/ Eagles superbowl. I felt like I was behind enemy lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While Colorado is insanely beautiful, I could never live there. I couldn't stand to be around all of the overnight fans. Three quarters of Colorado "fans" probably think that Beckett pitches for the Rockies...and she probably thought that the world series was one game.
    That's the things about growing up in New England....people are real, crazy, obnoxious, knowledgable fans. Hell, I know enough to be the manager of that team ;o) And I bet you do too!!!!

    I'm a little nervous for Shilling tonight. We'll see.....!!!!

    GO SOX!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While Colorado is insanely beautiful, I could never live there. I couldn't stand to be around all of the overnight fans. Three quarters of Colorado "fans" probably think that Beckett pitches for the Rockies...and she probably thought that the world series was one game.
    That's the things about growing up in New England....people are real, crazy, obnoxious, knowledgable fans. Hell, I know enough to be the manager of that team ;o) And I bet you do too!!!!

    I'm a little nervous for Shilling tonight. We'll see.....!!!!

    GO SOX!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sox scored so much last nite, you'd think they had an employee with a camera stealing signs. The sox are probably the better team, but the poor Rockies fans have been waiting there entire lives to win the WS. Well, maybe 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Beavers! :)

    Sorry, Kara, didn't mean to start a civil war. Just wanted to maintain some kind of cosmic sports balance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought only women dissected conversations like that

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking this morning when my first run 'post-marathon' is going to be. I am thinking Monday, which would give me one week in between runs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Boston fans have a reputation for being obnoxious, know-it-alls, who think they’re better than everyone else"

    sort of like Yankee's fans? :P Maybe we have more in common than you think, huh Vanilla?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.