Monday, October 15, 2007

Today is Blog Action Day


Today is Blog Action Day and all around the internet blogs just like this one, except not quite as cool, are participating in this event nay, extravaganza!

Since I committed to Blog Action Day, (which per my previous post will be referred to as BAD) I’ve been trying to figure out what to write about. There are plenty of ways to relate running and the environment, but nothing was inspiring me, until I went running past the High School down the street from where we live. Normally I don’t like to complain about what teenagers are doing because that just makes you sound old and grumpy. “I just don’t understand those darn whippersnappers with their hi-tech cell phones and their new fangled walkmans, in my day… [insert long, boring and usually untrue story].” I ran past a group of kids that I can only assume were trying to keep up the ‘stoners’ stereotype. As I ran past, one of them dropped his cigarette butt on the ground and then stepped on it to extinguish it. I noticed that all along the path there were cigarette butts that had evidently suffered the same treatment.

It made me begin to wonder why we just accept that smokers do this? It’s littering plain and simple. How often have you seen a smoker throw a cigarette butt on the ground and walk away? As if it was OK to discard because it’s so small. If I started unwrapping my drinking straws and throwing the paper wrapper on the ground and then stepping on it I don’t think people would be OK with that, and rightly so. My paper drinking straw wrapper can be rolled up smaller than a cigarette butt and is more biodegradable (may or may not be true) but people wouldn’t accept this kind of behavior and I think it’s time we started calling out smokers on their littering habits. Next time you’re walking around in a public place take a few seconds to notice how many cigarette butts are lying on the ground. I think you’ll be surprised, I hope you’ll be outraged.

I propose that we invest more money in Big Tobacco and try to help them find out if there is any way that we can make cigarettes even more potent so that they kill idiots people quicker. We are talking about people who not only pollute the air but who also litter, I think most people would be OK with this solution. After all, no one’s forcing anyone to light up.

I realize that I’m probably preaching to the choir here because I doubt that any of my readers are smokers. I mean I assume that the majority of my readers are runners and tri-athletes, maybe a few cyclists and swimmers, a good number of heads of state and most of the Hollywood A-list (Hi Jessica, Bonjour Monsieur Sarkozy).

I’m sorry if you came here wanting a race report from yesterdays Denver Half Marathon. I’ll have a full report on it tomorrow and it will probably be quite long because I’m awesome. I rock. I finished in 1:59:42.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! 1:59:42? Great time. How was the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 13.1 mile race time! Seriously though, I've thought the same thing about cigarettes for a long time now.

    A simple solution for your suggestion would be to take the filter off of cigarettes. They would be more harmful to people and the entire cigarette would be smokable--leaving no litter behind.

    This solution would actually make cigarettes cheaper to produce as well, making it a win-win situation! Kill em all! (smokers that is....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's worse than a smoker dropping a butt on the ground and leaving it there?

    One that empties her ash tray into the road while stopped at a light. I've seen that a few times, and it pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you take the filter out, then they'll start making plastic reusable filters that sit in land fills for 300 years.

    congrats on your half. under 2 is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course we're all coming here for a race report! I checked the results for the Denver Marathon last night to see how you did, then realized there's not going to be a listing for a Mr. Vanilla!:-) Congratulations on a great race.

    I agree with you on the cigarette butt thing, too. Yech!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the finish and on the time: that is awesome! I admit, I was here primarily for a race report, but your tirade on smoking was good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I wondered where you would take this one. As usual, you don't disappoint. :D

    Rockin time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay awesome runner... congrats on the 1/2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be okay with making cigarettes so smokers start to spontaneously combust.

    Nothing like good old natural section, Darwin is the man!

    Nice job on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh nice job under 2 hours!!! My friend from Denver came here to run Long Beach with me. Hey - it's much easier at sea level :) We were thinking about the Denver runners in the rain. Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Gonna Fly Now* (playing Rocky Theme)WAY TO GO VANILLA! I would hope you ran up the steps of the City Hall and doing the Rocky trademark. That's awesome! Look forward to your race report.
    Heard the weather was nasty in Denver yesterday!
    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God Vanilla you are such a tease! :P

    WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO I knew you'd come in under 2hrs! Awesome job!! So who guessed the closest? Please let me be the winner :P

    I hear you on the smoking bit. It's just a nasty habit, and that is why I smoke 2 packs a day. Not really.

    And thanks for noticing my new hair cut LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true about the nasty cigarette buds. And to think I feel so guilty about dumping my empty gel pack wrappers on the side of the road that I carry them in my shorts for the duration of my long runs...

    Congrats on your great finish in Denver. Can't wait for the race report!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really came here for a post race report, none of this environmental nonsense.
    Although I do agree that something needs to be done about the smokers of this world. Seems quicker and easier to just line them up and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone can make a difference! If you are passionate about stopping global warming and the environment you should check out this website http://www.nvisioncfl.com . Changing to CFLs is a great way for individual people to really make a difference! You should also check out this site http://www.youtube.com/user/helpourworld for more ideas on how to help our world!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.