Thursday, October 11, 2007

Denver Marathon Waives Entry Fee for Chicago Runners

I’ve been playfully bagging on the Denver Marathon lately over their Celebrity Auction, but I think that this is a really cool thing to do. I received an e-mail from the Denver Marathon this morning with the following message:

The Denver Marathon, scheduled for October 14, 2007, announced today that it will waive marathon entry fees to runners who were registered for the Chicago Marathon but were unable to finish.

The downside for those runners is that the Denver Marathon is only 3 days away which leaves very little time to make the trip out here to Denver. The predicted high temperature for Sunday here in Denver is 56 degrees with a 40% chance of showers so I don’t think heat will be an issue, but the altitude might if you’re a flatlander.

“As a former professional athlete, I know what it takes to train for a big race and the disappointment of not being able to finish due to circumstances outside of my control,” said Denver Marathon Executive Director Anton Villatoro.

Awesome. I had another post lined up for today which I’ll post this afternoon, but I thought that this was too cool to leave unmentioned.

Source: Denver Marathon

7 comments:

  1. Well that is really cool. Des Moines is giving 15 bucks off but it is a little more possible on the 21st.

    It does make me think about when you offer to do something that you know won't be accepted, but you get the credit for offering it, just the same.

    Okay maybe I am too cynical. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really nice deal...but i'm pretty sure one week wouldn't be enough for me to get it all mentally back together to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's tight!


    ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really nice of them. Denverers are so thoughtful.

    I've just booked my flight.

    Obviously, I can't afford a hotel after shopping in chicago for 4 days!

    What's your address? Can you pick me up at the airport?

    We are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I ran Chicago and finished, so I wouldn't qualify for Denver. But I'll say this, I'd be much more likely to run Denver than Chicago from here on out. At least Denver knows how to make it up to people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is nice and all, but I agree - I am not so sure many (any) people will tke them up on that. Just mroe money to spend on hotel, flight, etc.

    Spendy spendy, but a great thought none the less.

    Damn you and your tootsie rool video. Now I have that in my head.

    I feel a woop coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.