Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Goal To Fall Short Of

With the Denver Half Marathon less than 5 days away it's probably a good time to start thinking about setting a goal. Actually a good time for setting a goal would have been 6 months ago when I could have trained towards that specific goal, but that's just not the way we do things in the procrastination business. When it comes to getting things done, I drag my feet more than Keyser Söze.

Over the past few weeks I've had some really good runs that have left me feeling like a world beater and some pretty crappy VW Jetta runs. I've changed my mind on what I think my goal time will be every other run and the times have varied by as much as 15 minutes. There's a good chance that I'm indecisive. An indecisive, procrastinating employee who is blogging from work? They're lucky to have me, but in typical corporate fashion they keep promoting me up the ladder. Enough with the procrastinating, on to the goal.

My FIRST training plan indicates that the pace I've been running at should allow me to complete the race in 2:02:42. The annoyingly accurate McMillan Calculator indicates from my last race that I'll finish in 2:04:37. Going off of these numbers and taking a guess at what my time will be I'd say it's going to be 2:06:57. I've kind of been hoping that I could finish with a time under 2 hours but given my history in predicting my time I doubt that will happen.

Let's hear your predictions for my time in the comments. Maybe I'll even have some Half-Fast memorabilia for the person who comes the closest to my official time, like a keychain, or a bracelet - something really useless that you'll never use.

16 comments:

  1. 2:00:37 after one big final push followed by a flurry of swear words when you realize how close you were to finishing in under 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pace calculators are great, but they do assume that you are going to run the whole thing without walking a water stop or standing in line for a portable toilet. If you are able to forego these luxuries you could meet or even beat the times. I'm going with 2:10, and will be happy to be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diva's right. I'll say 2:08:08.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I win a car if I get it right?

    I'm going to say 1:59:59 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, I have never walked through a water stop. I have mastered drinking from a cup whilst running. And of course by 'mastered' I mean that I spill it all over myself, but I don't stop.

    Of course I've never run more than 12 miles either so who knows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I'm going to say 2:02:54 because you seem like the kind of guy who doesn't let McMillan dictate your time.

    Have a fantastic race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you will break 2 hours ... so 1.58.47

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll say 2:25:25. Oh wait, you're not running with a celebrity. I think you'll get 'er done in 1:57:11. A big race like that will get your adrenaline pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2:03:56
    Just because- and I like to snort half the water up my nose while trying to drink out of the cup and misjudging my stride. (We have water sachets- ask for some of those instead)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1:61:17 -- Just close enough to break your heart, but plenty to make you puke. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're underestimating here... I'm goin' with 2:01:43.

    Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who runs first and considers it training second.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do we win a prize if we guess right? I only want to guess if I'm gonna win something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess 1:59:30 - you can do it! My half marathon time was 7 minutes faster than my goal, so you can totally do it )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curse the sub two hour half-marathon! I've tried it a few times and the closest I've come is 2:01:43. It's the water stops, I'm sure of it. So, I say go with your strategy of throwing the water in your face and drinking whatever lands in your mouth for nourishment and crossing the finish in 1:57:36. Sub two hours with change to spare.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.