Friday, October 19, 2007

Something’s Wrong with Me

I was sitting on my couch the day after the Denver Half Marathon yelling at the Red Sox through my TV and rewarding myself for my previous day’s effort by eating and drinking whatever I pleased. For the most part I was pretty inanimate because I had developed some new muscles just so they could ache. I guess my body got tired of punishing me with soreness in my existing muscles.

My attention wandered to my laptop during the commercial breaks, where I was busy looking up companies that would install an elevator in my home because I’ve come to the conclusion that stairs suck. (Sorry, that’s a ‘lift’ for you blokes in England, or l'ascenseur if you’re French.) I've seen the commercials a thousand times already and I was getting pretty sick of Dane Cook telling me that there was only one October. Thanks for clearing that up Dane, if you could add the Cleveland Rocks song to the end of that commercial you'll have achieved the pinnacle of annoying.

Before I even knew what had happened I found myself on the Runner’s World race finder website. Despite the pain and soreness I was already looking for the next race to run. Having a race to aim my training at makes the running that much more meaningful for me. And so it was that I found myself looking up races, ashamedly hiding the screen from my wife so that she wouldn’t see what I was doing. I need to race. It’s a sickness, and I don’t want to get help. I’ve said it before, but Monday night just confirmed it. I’m addicted.

18 comments:

  1. Great job on the Denver 1/2 despite the wonderful weather. We all need a purpose for our running goals. Having that adiction is what keeps us going. The only cure is when the wife says that we have spent the budget for racing fees for the year. :( That is when you get a cardboard sign that says "In Need of Race Entry Fees Please Help". Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, which one will it be?? Are you looking at another half?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely on PINS and NEEDLES waiting to hear what the next race will be! So hurry up, because I don't think standing on all these sharp objects can be good for my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vanilla. I just stumbled on your blog the other day and have now read through every post (ahh...the lovely life of a temp!). You have some great stories. I think they've actually inspired me to run faster on my past few runs - I'm not kidding.

    Also, congrats on the 1/2! I have one coming up in 2 weeks and would love to break 2 hours, but am aiming for something a bit higher and more realistic than that (2:10?). My vote for the next race is a spring 2008 marathon with some 5Ks inbetween.

    And, of course, go Sox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between the broadcasters and Dane Cook, I feel like face-punching myself. I'm pretty sure that the NFL is behind it all, trying to make baseball annoying so fans will give up and watch football instead. Good luck finding another race. And go Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have you beat. my marathon is still a month away and i'm ALREADY trying to decide which race to do after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, Dane Cook is completely obnoxious. Can't wait to hear the next race you pick? What kind of distance are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how that "Cleveland Rocks" song didn't play as much LAST night, isn't it??

    Dane Cook is getting a little tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need a 12-step program...

    Like the first 12 steps of your next race -- WOOHOO!


    ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Vanilla, found you through a link to a link to a link, or something like that.

    Congrats on the Denver finish.

    Not that I've done a lot, but I think I've signed up for or committed to a new race within 24 hrs of every one that I've finished. Nothing like that adrenalin coming down the home stretch.

    (BTW, if you're half-fast, I must be full slow. Maybe I'll have to change the name of my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should run in one of the many Turkey Trot races coming up, just cuz it sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. races should come with a warning.

    what about a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not sure after my marathon that I will ever run something more than a "fun run" type thing...but if I did, I would need to be enticed by something other than the run. The Cabo San Lucax (Mexico) 1/2 in January looks VERY tempting :) And a week in Cabo wouldnt hurt either...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ali, you're a crack up! A marathon! Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa!

    I'm sure that I'll eventually run one, but right now I think I want to get faster not longer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want your medal but not bad enough to run a half. you might seduce me into a 10k. it's ok to blow your budget on race fees if your wife does it with you- i need motivation... please find some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What are you thinking of? I hear there's a Colfax half/full marathon where you run the length of Colfax. I think it's in May. Or, are you thinking of traveling out of state? If you're thinking the near future, South Florida has several events for Jan/Feb of 2008 that may interest you! Come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are worse things you could be hiding from your wife on the computer screen! I'm greatly looking forward to reading about your training for the new race. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.