Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Race for Remembering

Last year on Sunday morning, December 2nd I ran the Colder Boulder 5K and set my stubble time for the Shave Your 5K Challenge. Later in the evening, I found out that about the same time that I was running that race I had lost a good friend, if you were reading Half-Fast back then you may remember my post paying tribute to Jason Wenger. It seemed only fitting that I should remember him this year when I ran the race. So, this past Sunday morning Candis and I went and picked up Carl (Jason’s Brother-In-Law) and the three of us ran the Colder Bolder 5K wearing our softball jerseys. (Jason used to play on our softball team and the team has since been renamed JWengs in his honor, likewise the new jerseys have ‘JWengs’ emblazoned across the front, which is why we chose to wear them for this race.)

I don’t mean to bring down the usually jovial mood here at Half-Fast because I know you don’t come here for heart-wrenching, tear-jerking posts but this is my Colder Bolder 5K race report and I can’t talk about it without mentioning Jason. Now without further ado, onto the actual race report and some much needed juvenile humor.

The Colder Bolder is a series of invitational races based on your finish time from the Bolder Boulder 10K race in May. I was running my race at 9:10am, and Candis and Carl were running their race at 10:10am, giving me an hour to finish the 5K loop and take over kid watching duty from Candis and Carl.

The gun sounded and I was out of the gate at a 6:00 minute mile pace. This was due to the small field, the downhill start, and the fact that I knew Candis was around the first bend taking pictures. After a good solid minute I dropped back to a 7:45 minute pace which was my goal pace for this particular 5K, but like all goals I decided that it needed to be changed mid race. Actually I didn’t decide it needed to be changed, my lungs did. Entering the second mile I could not catch my breath, I felt like my lungs were the size of testicles at a Polar Plunge meeting.

Also slowing me down was the cotton softball jersey I was wearing. The temperature was in the 50s, and I was burning up. I was struggling to breathe and my jersey wasn’t breathing at all so somewhere in the midst of mile 2 I removed the jersey hoping that it would cool me down and improve my speed. (Note: I was not topless, I had a long-sleeved compression shirt on under the jersey.) Alas, taking off the jersey did not magically make me faster. I still found myself struggling to stay below 9:00 minute miles and my teeny, tiny lung-sticles were on fire.

I gave up on trying to PR and put the jersey back on, finishing in 25:26 (8:21 pace) and shaving exactly 30 seconds off my time from last year. None of us PR’d in this race, Candis came in at 30:13 and Carl finished in 32:22. I think that my apparent lack of lung capacity and inability to hold the pace I wanted was due to having taken a couple of weeks off from running to rest my injured knee. The race showed me that if I still plan on running the marathon in January then I had better get myself back into running shape quickly. I’ll be hitting the treadmill for some speedwork tonight (it’s snowy and icy outside today) and I’m back on the full training schedule effective immediately.

18 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful way to honor your friend. Great job, Vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at it this way, you improved even with a messed up knee and lack of proper preperation due to said knee. so i say congrats!
    oh, and what is PR for us lazy, non-runner, types?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Taking off your jersey didn't make you magically faster? There goes my plan of running the marathon topless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. nonna: PR = Personal Record

    Lauren: I hope you're joking, because I'd be heartbroken if I thought that Half-Fast had been responsible for someone deciding not to run topless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless of PR'ing or not, thats a great way to honor a good friend!

    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Xenia. Cheers to you, man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Razz and Xenia! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to reconcile you as Softball Guy. Please tell me you have a bowling team as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to honor your friend, he would have been proud of you for finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice way to commemorate your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have to say the lung-sticles is quite disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully, your lungs did not feel as bad as your b!@#s would in an icy lake at the end?! Ouch. I'm certain that Jason would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice way to remember him! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only YOU would find some way to compare lungs to testicles.
    Only you.

    I didn't know Jason, but if he was a friend of yours, he was probably look down, laughing his butt off at you running in that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice run and a great way to do it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very nice of you to remember your friend like that. Wow! That's way more important than any PR... but shaving 30 seconds IS a great way to finish the year. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing, and it was a great idea to remember him the way you did.

    I guess the knee is better at least! Good luck on your training for the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, two things, grats on your knee not betraying you mid-race, and honoring your friend's memory...I can respect that.

    As for the lung-sticles...that has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read.
    I'm in awe of you!
    You are a true guy.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.