Tuesday, December 2, 2008

“Maybe you just can’t run that far”

That’s what the orthopedic surgeon told me yesterday just moments before he doubled over in pain from a kick to the groin. OK, so I didn’t kick him in the groin, but I wanted to.

Since I went straight from work to visit the doctor’s office I was still wearing a suit and apparently you can’t take x-rays through suit pants. Really? The machine can see through flesh and muscle but it can’t see through finely crafted, Italian, merino wool faux polyester from Indonesia? I was handed a pair of one-size-fits-all shorts to wear for the x-ray part of my visit and fortunately for you, Candis was with me to snap a picture of me looking sexy as hell in oversized shorts, dress socks and a shirt and tie.


Tucking the tie into the shorts really completes the ensemble. As I walked across the office to the x-ray room I could tell from the looks I was getting that all of the nurses wanted to get in my pants, and the good news is that I had room in there for every single one of them.

Shortly thereafter, the doctor came in and inspected the x-rays. The only conclusion that could be drawn from the x-rays was that beauty is NOT skin deep as the x-rays proved that my knees are sexy all the way through to the bone. Other than that, everything looked normal. Perfectly healthy knees. X-rays = useless. Hopefully that means that I won’t be charged for them, right? Right?

Next the doctor had me lie down on the table and he flexed my knee every which way possible. He poked and prodded, he twisted, he hyper-extended, he did every trick in the book to try to cause pain or discomfort but nothing came close to the discomfort I had felt earlier when he paraded me across the office in sexy shorts like a piece of meat. It was not even remotely unpleasant and I think I may have even nodded off for part of the exam.

Finally, we got to talking about the injury. I explained where the pain was (behind my knee) and told him how it only comes on after an hour or two of running. I explained how excruciatingly painful it is when it appears and how it disappears completely after ice, Advil and a few hours rest. The final diagnosis was that I probably have a tiny Baker Cyst (also known as a Gargamel Cyst) in the back of my knee that gets irritated after running for any length of time. Incidentally, no one guessed Gargamel in the comments so you all suck at diagnosing running injuries as much as I do. That’s when the doctor told me, in between coughing fits, that I could continue running and that maybe the pain was my body’s way of telling me that I just can’t run that far. He even jokingly told me that maybe I should stick to half marathons, but it wasn’t funny. He suggested I keep running, building my long runs slowly to the point where the pain starts. He also recommended taking 600mg of ibuprofen before my long runs.

The good news in all of this is that the marathon is still in the picture depending on how far I can run prior to the pain starting up. I’m going to take a couple more days off and jump back into running again this weekend, after all I’m running the Colder Bolder 5K on Sunday with Candis and Carl and it will be my final attempt at Shaving my 5K.

The most disappointing thing about the whole trip to the doctor’s office was that I didn’t even get to pee in a cup. That’s always the best part about going to the doctor’s office. I know it probably wouldn’t have helped with a diagnosis, but shouldn’t we at least give it a try on the off chance that it would? Maybe my knee hurts because I’m pissing out pieces of my knee’s meniscus and it would have showed up in my urine sample along with traces of excellence. Hey, you never know.

Edit: I Googled Baker Cyst and it turns out the other term I was looking for is Ganglion not Gargamel, however I will continue to refer to the little bugger as Gargamel because it seems more appropriate.

37 comments:

  1. Based on that picture, I thought you were revealing yourself as Office Man the newest (and lamest) superhero in the galaxy. Your weakness? A bad knee. And fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that picture is priceless. Sorry you didn't pee in a cup. Hope you feel much better soon, and I dunno but that could be new running attire for you... Looks like something Michael Scott would show up in for their 5k :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I wouldn't take ibuprofen before a long run. I don't think you would want to mask any signs of pain, pain is your body telling you that you need to stop.

    Do some research on it though, I've read that it's not a good idea.

    I don't always have a lot of confidence in Doctors who don't know a lot about running, but that's me. I'm a skeptic.

    Speedy Recovery! Oh, and your wife goes to the Doctor with you? What are you, 12?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I wouldn't take ibuprofen before a long run. I don't think you would want to mask any signs of pain, pain is your body telling you that you need to stop.

    Do some research on it though, I've read that it's not a good idea.

    I don't always have a lot of confidence in Doctors who don't know a lot about running, but that's me. I'm a skeptic.

    Speedy Recovery! Oh, and your wife goes to the Doctor with you? What are you, 12?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget peeing in a cup! You could run in those shorts and have a bucket suspended in front the whole time, thereby allowing you to save precious time passing by those who have to wait in line for porto-potties or trees to piss on. Was there a fan in there when the picture was taken? You seem very poofed, and strangely proud of the outfit. Those shorts are the Azreal to your knee's Gargamel...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha, looooove the shorts!

    You got good news! You can still run! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get to keep the shorts? If not are you able to get some? They would be great to wear for next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @RunColo- doesn't your wife go to the doctor with you so you can play doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stupid quack.

    How come every other somewhat notable expert says DON'T take Ibuprofen before you run. I agree with that duplicitous RunningColon guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you ever do the muddy buddy in Boulder?

    I think it was back in August...I'm not sure though. I havent done it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That picture clearly demonstrates that your doctor does not understand you. Shorts? He should've given you a skirt! What's wrong with the man?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suh-weeeeet!!!!! Take yer time coming back.

    I'm a little surprised it wasn't chlamydia, but the Smurf cyst works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does every race in Colorado rhyme (muddy buddy, colder Boulder, etc.)?

    Glad to hear it isn't anything too horrible...the knee I mean. The shorts are horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn it! Razz stole my line.

    I've had to deal with ganglion cysts but only in my wrists. Thankfully I don't run on my hands, so it's not a problem for me. Another name for them is Bible Bump. Whack your knee with something really hard and bust that puppy. It'll take some time to reform so you can sneak in your marathon training before it does. Totally sane strategy, I'm telling you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that is good news...though not being able to run that far...hmm

    "The good news in all of this is that the marathon is still in the picture depending on how far I can run prior to the pain starting up."

    So...just wondering...is there a betting pool opening up to determine how far you'll get in the marathon before your knee decides its had enough?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Candis is one lucky girl. Sex-ay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's the hotness Vanilla!! I too wondered if you got to keep the shorts. Candis could sell them on ebay and make a fortune hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I scored those very same shorts when I had knee problems. They are really super hot.

    Sorry to hear about Gargamel. I suggest defeating him with a present that blows up when he opens it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I scored those very same shorts when I had knee problems. They are really super hot.

    Sorry to hear about Gargamel. I suggest defeating him with a present that blows up when he opens it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No, I did not get to keep the shorts. I wanted to and could have easily taken them with me but Candis wouldn't allow it, even when I told her I'd wear them with nothing but a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't Gargamel that creepy character from the Smurfs?

    I agree with the person (Runcolo) who said not to take that much ibuprophen before running, especially a long run. That can really screw up your kidneys. Seriously.

    Too bad you didn't get to keep the shorts. I think you were onto something with the tie tucked in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too have heard that taking IB before a run is not good. After, yes, but before? Did this "orthopedist" have a medical degree from the Bahamas? Or did you just snag those shorts, take a pic at home and make up that Smurf-disease?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. Just wow. As comfortable as they look, I suggest not wearing those shorts in Phoenix, as they also look like they'd dissolve when sweaty. Also, I won't pretend not to know you when we meet if you opt for a different pair of shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LMAO at the Gargamel cyst!

    Lovely ensemble you have on there. There MUST be some excuse for you to run in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi, i'm not a runner (nor would i evvver want to be) but i have been stalking you for the last few days and i couldn't control myself after seeing that pic..i had to comment.
    i am thinking that maybe you should leave candis at home if you are ever going back there again. at least i'm assuming candis is the cause of the big smile and the "tent pole" look you've got going on there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha, I've never heard of a Baker Cyst nor a Gargamel Cyst, but my mom had a Ganglion on her wrist about 10 years ago that she got removed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bummer that Candis didn't let you keep the shorts. Those are prime running attire.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's a funny post. They are the biggest shorts I have ever seen. I thought I was on a weight loss blog all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Re: Taking ibuprofen before a run: I disagree with the other anonymous weirdos on the Intertubes. I think you should take it.

    Now you're trapped! Because whether you take the ibuprofen or not, you'll be following the advice of anonymous weirdos on the Intertubes! There's simply no escape from THIS clever paradox, Mr. Bond! Your precious Garmin can't help you now!

    O, yeah, and that picture? Possible even funnier than Gorilla Ice, which is saying a lot. Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Vanilla ICU!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you should run your race in those shorts. haha

    In all serious, I'm glad you have a diagnosis of some sort and that you can still keep running. Hopefully pooping the IB before the run will help you get through those longer runs without the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Advil prior to the run is just fine. It will keep down any swelling allowing for proper blood flow to any in situ injuries and it will mitigate the pain. If Advil upsets your stomach or starts to wear off during your long run I would suggest a tylenol chaser. I do that for my marathons.
    Aleve works well as a slow release pain killer and anti-inflamatory. Just don't mix it with advil but tylenol is okay.
    My preference would be Viox but those "kilt wearing wussies" (from The New Guy) at Merck took it off the market. Ask your Doc if he has any Celebrex samples.
    Ice up, grit your teeth and stomp out a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well you've gone and done it...you made me laugh out loud like 30 times during this post.
    No one makes me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The shorts are just smurfalicious and I think internet advice is the best advice. If you read it here, it must be true.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think when your doctor suggested maybe you shouldnt run so far he was hinting that you werent man enough to run that far. If there is no injury and its just pain from a cyst then thats good and bad news (no injury=good, pain you can't "fix"=bad). I assume your doctor is thinking what I was thinking ... if the guy whines this much about a little cyst then obviously he cant handle the "no pain no gain" lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice shorts Vanilla! Too bad you didn't get to keep them!

    I've heard big warnings about taking IB before a long run or marathon. There were big warnings about it in our Disney World Marathon handbook. There are a few different reasons and you'll see a lot of forums on the net if you google it. Here's one quick link though:
    http://coachjoeenglish.wordpress.com/2007/06/05/training-can-i-take-ibuprofen-while-im-running/

    Hope your knee is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i feel your pain. i just went to the ortho yesterday and was told that i "probably" had it band issues, but he could not duplicate the pain. i did get a nice cortisone injection out of it though and a month worth of pt sessions

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would stick with "ganglion" - Gargamel sounds like a lame name from one of those Star Trek spin offs.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.