Monday, December 22, 2008

18 Miles of Misery

I woke up on Saturday morning and I was eager to get started on my long run. (Note: Only one of those things is true.) The sun was shining and I thought that it looked like the perfect weather for my first attempt at 18 miles and I was right it did look like the perfect weather for 18 miles. I flipped on the active menu on our TV to see what the temperature was and almost crawled back into bed. It gave an actual reading of 22 degrees but also proudly proclaimed that it “Feels Like 8 degrees.” As if that wasn’t enough there was also a cute little wind icon on the screen, right next to the phrase “27 mph,” and yes, I’m being facetious about the wind icon being cute. I’m still trying to figure out how to punch the wind in the face without looking like a total idiot.

Undaunted (lying again) I bundled up in my warmest running gear, donned my sunglasses and headed out the door for the first of what would be three 6 mile loops. The wind was brutal, there’s just no other way to put it. Many of the paths were still covered in ice and snow and the headwind that I was running into was brutal, did I mention that already? (I hope that you’re not sick of hearing about how much I hated the wind because that’s going to be a continuing theme in this post.)

On the upside, I was able to entertain myself by firing snot-rockets and loogies for record distances during most of the first loop. By the time I started running the second loop it was less entertaining and more of an annoyance that my nose wouldn’t stop running. I cursed my nose. I cursed the runner who had obviously run this path before me wearing YakTrax. I cursed YakTrax for not giving me a free pair to review on my blog. I cursed each and every one of you who have ever encouraged me to run a marathon. I cursed the headwind that I was running into and then chuckled when I thought ‘headwind? They should call it giving-head wind because it sucks!’ Then I cursed the wind again because my lips were so dry the chuckling cracked my lips.

I finished the second loop feeling completely sapped of strength and decided that I was done battling the wind. I headed inside and finished my final 6 miles on the treadmill and I think it’s safe to say that I’ve never loved my treadmill as much as I did on Saturday. Don’t get me wrong, I cursed the treadmill too but not nearly as much as I had been cursing the wind.

18 comments:

  1. I love that you are training for a marathon. I think you should do an Ironman next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali just got herself bumped to the top of my S#@t list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Vanilla sounds like you really enjoyed your run. (now your making me into a liar)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like my wishes and dreams for your long run came true. Except for the slip and fall part.

    Way to knock out 18 though! Two more looong runs to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second mention I've seen of those funky add-ons that turn your shoes into super ice-gripping machines. As I currently hail from the land of snow and ice I really just want to know if they work. I think its pretty pissy that you werent given a pair to review. See if you can get the DueNorth All Purpose Traction Aid to review. Someones gotta be willing to give you free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Was it windy?
    2) You're running a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A serious question for you...when you fire snot rockets in that cold of weather, does the snot end up freezing mid-fire? If so, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man at least you braved the weather...I already know I'm punking out tonight...windchill of fiveish...yea I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best way to punch the wind in the face without looking stupid is to use your own face for the punching. Then you just look crazy. Was there no tail wind or was it a three way wind?
    http://rachaelsdaddy.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/3-way-wind/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, after you finish your marathon I would suggest the Western States 100. You have 24 hours to complete it and it is all trail running which should be good for your tricked out knee.
    Advil and tylenol up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *cough*

    Drama queen

    *cough*

    Although the "giving-head wind" part was clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Following Ali's theme how about an ultra!?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. See - that wasn't so hard. On to bigger & better. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok, i take it back. you now seem like a dedicated runner too. good for you for attempting the 18miles in the head giving wind.

    and i wanna know if the snot rockets freeze too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Running sucks. We should all get fat and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to run the 18 despite the challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I nominate your headwind comment for "funniest Half-Fast quotes in 2008." Seriously, cracked me up.

    You are having one of those, aren't you? I figured you wouldn't let a chance to pat yourself on the back slip by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great effort even though you wimped out in the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.