Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Emergency Procedures: Dance Off!

Emergency Procedures is my quest to differentiate Half-Fast from any other running blog out there. It is an ongoing feature designed to give runners the advice that no one else does, and appears on a random and inconsistent schedule despite its severe lack of popularity. Today’s topic, as you may have already guessed, is Dance Off!

I think that we can all agree that if there’s one thing Vanilla does well, it’s dancing. If there’s two things that Vanilla does well it’s dancing and talking about himself in the 3rd person like some kind of hot shot, superstar athlete. Naturally, I’ve never been worried about being challenged to a dance off while out running on the trails but that’s because I’ve got the moves to get you into the grooves, or something like that. However, it occurs to me that some of you might be terrified about the prospect of being challenged to a dance off because you don’t know how to get in to the groove or even how to shake your groove thang. Well fear not my friends, because Vanilla is here with another useful Emergency Procedures post to teach you how to win an impromptu dance off.

You’re running along, just minding your own business and enjoying your tunes when someone steps into your path Black Knight style and issues the all too familiar “None Shall Pass” edict. You’re about to be involved in a dance off... to the death! Here’s what you do:

Start out with the always popular running man. You’re probably already in your running groove and your running groove can be easily morphed into a dancing groove by starting with the running man. From there I always recommend shifting into Vanilla Ice’s Ninja Rap. “Go ninja, go ninja, go!”

Now if this kid knows what he’s doing then he’s probably going to come back at you with the Chicken Noodle Soup dance and maybe he’ll even pop and lock it, but don’t back down now. Tell him to step off, “I’m doin’ the Hump,” and bust out the Humpty Dance. Remember that the Humpty Dance is your chance to do the Hump. After that I’d reach back into your bag of tricks and give him some of the classic moves; the shopping cart, the lawnmower, and the sprinkler.

He’ll be taken aback by your prowess on the dance floor and resort to the robot and maybe even *NSYNC’s Bye Bye Bye puppet dance, which is a good point but that’s when you hit him up with MC Hammer’s U Can’t Touch This and Too Legit to Quit. He’ll probably be all, like “I see your point but here’s some moonwalking in your face!” And you’ll be all, like “Whoa, you’re good but can you handle my electric slide?” And while he’s still reeling from your awesome electric slide that’s when you hit him up old school with the ace up your sleeve: The Thriller, because “whosoever shall be found, without the soul for getting down, must stand and face the hounds of hell, and rot inside a corpses shell.” Game. Over!

Just remember, whatever you do, do not, under any circumstance, ever, ever do the twist. If you’re even contemplating this, then you’re way too old to be participating in a dance off in the first place. Also out of the question: walking like an Egyptian and the chicken dance. Stop. You’re just embarrassing yourself.

19 comments:

  1. Usually, I some idea what your blog posts are about, but not this time. I'm lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I...uh...okay...so...how was your run today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously ROFL-ing. Seriously, you are waaaaaay out in left field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did someone put something in Vanilla's coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would LOVE a dance off...that might be something where I could even win a prize! Oh, but only if it's against a white guy doing the runnning man or a feeble attempt at the cabbage patch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to follow my ninja rap up with the roger rabbit when I'm challenged to a dance off to the death. Then I transition into the cabbage patch before jumping to the dice roll. That's just me though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Also out of the question: walking like an Egyptian and the chicken dance. Stop. You’re just embarrassing yourself. "

    Because the "lawnmower, shopping cart, & sprinkler" isn't? Why didn't you throw the macarena in there while you were at it?

    And are you sure you're taking just ibuprofen for your knee & not something containing opiates?

    ReplyDelete
  8. But but... how about the "stayin alive" thing and YMCA? Or the boot scootin boogie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to second joyRun and Mindy. Seriously, how could you forget those classics?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wonder I don't win any dance offs. I'm still getting my Bangles on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so you are coordinated enough to run AND dance?? dang, i really feel like a slug now.
    and i probably would've done the twist. man what a loser.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, you must be a bag of fun at a party. I bet your wife can't wait to get you on the dance floor and show you off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so bummed that I was not the first to mention the overlooked Macarena.

    BUT - can you Hokey Poke on roller skates? HMMM????

    Of course, if you find that the challenger is too tough, just play rock/paper/scissors to see if you'll line up for a conga or the bunny hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been meaning to get you my 5K Shave results!

    Here they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The link to the official resuts are at the bottom of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I def rock the Soulja Boy, no questions asked. Then do some sort of robot move

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Alright then... We'll call it a draw." - King Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, dear.

    No twist?

    Not even like we did last summer?

    I was with you 100% (like, you could dance-off to my running playlist 100%) until you dismissed the twist. (Except-- wait-- the Macarena! Does that belong in the paragraph about the twist and walking like an Egyptian?)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.