Friday, December 19, 2008

My Knee is Painfree, Slower than I Remember

The good news with my running lately is that I’ve been able to run with almost no pain in my knee, probably resulting from the 600mg of Advil coursing through my veins. The bad news is that I seem to be slower. I’m blaming the slowness on the 2 weeks that I took off from running to nurse my injury, and I’m starting to rethink what my marathon goals should be, but that’s for another, more boring post.

Due to the icy paths and sub-freezing temperatures here in Colorado recently I’ve been forced to do some of my runs on the conveyor belt of boredom, which is probably better for my knee anyway. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself as I trundle along like an unclaimed suitcase, endlessly circling the baggage claim carousel.

Thus far in my training, the furthest that I’ve run is 16 miles and while it was a good run, it’s been more than 6 weeks since I went that far. I have two more long runs before the taper starts (18 miles and 20 miles) and the forecast for this weekend is not making things easy. There’s still ice on the paths and tomorrow is going to be 21 degrees with snow flurries. I simply refuse to run 18 miles on a treadmill, you’d have to be clinically insane to try that (looking at you Kristina). A friend suggested I go to a nearby Rec Center that has an indoor track, but the track is only a tenth of a mile which means that I’d have to run 180 laps and I’ll be honest with you, I can’t count that high. Seriously, I have trouble with any kind of math while I’m running. One time I accidentally ran 11 miles instead of 10 because of a miscalculation when adding ‘distance remaining’ to ‘distance already covered.’ I’ve never hated math more than I did that day.

Anyway, the success or failure of my scheduled 18 miler this weekend will be a defining moment in my marathon training, and ‘when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment, or the moment defines you.’ That’s a movie quote folks, 5 Half-Fast bonus points in the comments for the first person who can tell me what movie it’s from. 5 Half-Fast bonus points and $1.42 will get you a gallon of gas these days. Bonus points are non-refundable, non-negotiable, have no cash value and may cause a slight itching and burning.

Only 6 shopping days left, almost time for me to get started. Enjoy the weekend!

23 comments:

  1. Good job Turi, I hope they don't itch to bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like they're worth about 40 cents - 8 cents each? Gas is expensive here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the snowy 18-miler. The possibility of jacking up your knee even more is still worth it over not having to suffer the conveyor belt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We’re finally starting to head in a warmer direction today. It was one degree when I woke up but there was no windchill so I went for a run. Can you believe it? I just had to."

    territerri(dot)wordpress(dot)com

    now she seems like a dedicated runner to me :p~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck getting out for your 18-miler this weekend! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do the 18 miler outside this weekend. With below freezing cold and flurries. I need proof that it is possible. If you survive, I can continue with training as planned. I think I'll be rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think how fast you'll be though when you get to Phoenix and all of those dry, slush free roads. Like some racing horses, maybe you'll find you're more of a mudder. I know I've always thought of you as a mudderf'er if that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very very wise man once told me not to bother running. Just stay in bed and sleep it off. Perhaps that advice will work for you too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There sure is a lot of unnecessary math on the blogosphere of late. I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing. Because there are two sure signs of insanity:

    "Noticing" things no else does.

    Referring, however obliquely, to Viper as a "very very wise man".

    Referring to Viper.

    Hey, lookit, I got 11 fingers! See? 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 - that's my left hand ...

    Plus these five over here on my right ...

    5+6=12!

    So I was wrong! I have 12 fingers!

    Freak city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not in LA it won't! Glad to see you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, the January Marathon is pretty tough living in Colorado. Even running Cali International, I found it hard (AKA I didn't do it) to run once daylight savings ended.

    I'd offer to run with you, but right now I am preparing for hibernation and I have already eated three brownies today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having run one single marathon, I offer this advice:

    Run outside. It'll suck and it'll be slow, but the single most important thing I did in my training was run when it was cold/windy/snowy/raining. It wasn't the physical part that needed training, it was the mental part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I won't argue with your diagnosis. If I wasn't insane before, I definitely was after that run. I was looking at 20 on the mill tomorrow b/c we're in a blizzard, but I got permission to xc ski instead. All of a sudden I kind of like my coach.
    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. glad to read your knee if feeling better, and good luck with the snowy 18 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can be like a chiarunner and run a shitty 9 miler in the snow to the gym, hop on the conveyor to hell, realize how crappy that is 5 miles in then polish off the remaining miles back to the homestead.

    It's all about variety man ;-). Run hard yo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooohhh, I hope you're running when you tally up my "Shave Your 5K" Score.....LOL

    Glad to hear you're knee is better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear the knee is improving, and hope you got out there for the 18 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hAHA, The conveyor belt of bordem, thats exactly it.

    Good to hear the knee is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know how you do it in that weather!! Hope your run went well this weekend! Any plans for PFChang's yet? Should we try to find a good spot for a blogger meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to make a ton of adjustments to my training because of a few injuries, but I ended up running a good marathon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.