Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Year in Review

Christmas is almost here, which means it’s time to look back at the goals we set at the beginning of the year and see how we’ve fared. Fortunately for me I couldn’t find a goal-setting post at the beginning of the year which means that I didn’t fail to meet any of my goals, if that makes sense (it made sense in my head). Last year I wrote a year in review post talking about all that I had accomplished but this year just doesn’t have a finished feel to it, and it probably won’t until I run the marathon on January 18th. Ironically enough, it was my year in review post last year where I first mentioned that I might consider running a marathon. I really wish that someone would have stepped in and stopped me right then and there. So instead of taking the time to craft a well thought out post about this past year, here are some bullet points.

Things that I’ve done this year that you probably don’t care about:

  • Set new PRs in the 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon.
  • Participated in my first podcast.
  • Signed up for my first marathon.
  • Started the SY5K Challenge.
  • Ran a race in a Gorilla suit, a lifelong goal of mine.
  • Sought out an evil arch nemesis.
  • Found one. (Except, replace evil with annoying.) As of right now Viper has re-claimed all 4 PRs, 5K, 10K, 13.1 and 26.2 but I’ll have my sights set on several of them for next year. For those of you wondering, I will not be eating my sweaty Red Sox hat. “I’ll eat my hat,” is just an expression to convey disbelief, no one really thinks that you’re going to literally eat your hat. It’s kind of like when I tell each and every one of you to kiss my derriere, I don’t expect you to literally do it, just figuratively. I will however admit that Viper proved me wrong, he did indeed run 32 miles last week. Bravo and congratulations for putting in some marathon type training in order to reach an arbitrary mileage goal that you’ll probably still fall short of. In fact... yeah... if Viper reaches 1,000 miles for the year, I’ll eat my shorts.*

That’s about all I have the energy for right now. I’m currently in the heart of marathon training and it doesn’t feel like a good time for careful retrospection and summation, plus “careful retrospection and summation” so doesn’t sound like something that you’d expect to find here at Half-Fast anyway.

*No I won’t, because it’s just an expression.

10 comments:

  1. You might not eat your shorts, but I'll still rub it in your face when I prevail. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, are these those blue hospital shorts you're talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you need to find some smaller shorts than the super fly hospital ones. That's a meal right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of your year in review, I am glad you signed up for your first marathon. I will be very interested to see how that goes. May you have the best 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you prodding your nemesis on to victory by saying you'll eat your shorts....that's so big of you Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to use retrospection and summation at work tomorrow...they're certain to think I'm really, really smart! Looks like a good year behind you and more to come, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instead of careful "retrospection and summation", why didn't you just arbitrarily sum up facts and half-truths about the year?

    Tammy

    P.S. good luck at Arizona, I'll be there but probably finishing about 3 hours behind you. If only I was your arch nemesis-ette you could definitely beat me as well as any marathon PR I have (I think). Then you would not have to worry about eating your shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regardless of whether you think we don't care about your goal or not. We do! Seeing your goals and acheievments gets me pumped for my 2009 goals, awesome job man! I gotta get on one of those casts

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 2008 year-in-running-review goes something like this: Got fat.

    You did better than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How hard is it to break 1000 miles. I am about to do it and I was out with injuries for two months this year. Viper doesn't seem like much of a E.A.N.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.