Saturday, January 17, 2009

America Runs on Dunkin’...

... And so do I. My wife found a Dunkin’ Donuts not far from where we are staying last night, and I found it again this morning. So far it is the best thing about this trip and I don’t see anything on the horizon that will change that.

On the plane to Phoenix I heard a few other runners discussing the upcoming marathon so I made sure to speak about my training loud enough with Candis that they invited me into their conversation, in much the same way that you invite a jury summons in the mail and equally pleasant. It was obvious from the conversation that they did not recognize me as the world renowned Vanilla of Half-Fast. I politely raised my hand, stopping them mid-sentence and said “Sorry to interrupt you, but... I’m kind of a big deal!” I told them all about Half-Fast but they were not impressed. I’m beginning to suspect that they weren’t really runners at all. I suspect they were just flying into town for the NFC Championship game and pretending to be runners to impress people. I mean, really, how could a real runner have not heard about Half-Fast? It’s just not possible.

By the way speaking of the NFC Championship game, the Cardinals are winning that game. I don’t think I’ve ever given any gambling advice on this site, but the current line is Eagles by 3.5 which is just like free money. Personally I think the Cards are winning this game outright, but they sure as hell aren’t losing by more than a field goal. Take the Cards and the points, it’s a sure fire way to double your kid’s college education fund and your retirement account all at the same time.

Finally, I met Razz and his Sister today at the marathon expo and he’s surprisingly nice in person. Best of luck to everyone else that’s running this race; Lisa, Eileen, Kristina, Pat, Mary, Jessica, and anyone else who I’ve forgotten or just outright ignored.
Candis will have updates here tomorrow, and I’ll catch you all on the flip side.

17 comments:

  1. I'm sooooo excited to hear how it goes!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were obviously just runner wannabe's. (Yeah, right!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck, Vanilla! I'll be right there with ya' somewhere amongst the 30K other runners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. I totally forgot about that Nitmos, I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... me love me dunkin' donuts coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck. I got the Dairy Queen around mile 20 to put your name on their window. It says Vanilla Blizzard $3.59, but I think they mean Vanilla runs the marathon in 3:59.

    Good luck tomorrow.

    What was that test post about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, the test post was Candis doing a test post from my blackberry so that she can post updates for me tomorrow during the race. Nice work catching it, I think it was up for all of 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got it too!!!!!
    Good luck tomorrow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be stalking all of you today so you better run fast, because I do have some work I need to get done before tomorrow. :)

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gooooooooood Luck!!!!!!! Have a great time out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dunks is good, but stay mindful of the fact that their coffee is served in demonic containers. Seriously, check it out: http://www.chasingsanity.com/cheap-coffee-thrills-expense-mother-nature/

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, I come here to read a "Test Post" because I figure it'll be a version of those beloved late-night test patterns on TV that I remember from my childhood and I figure, hey win-win, because a TV test pattern is guaranteed to be more fun than a typical Half-fast post; but then I get here and there's THIS post instead!

    What gives?!1? And I better get a different and more convincing explanation than what you gave Pat, which, truth be told, sounds like a lie and a cover-up.

    Second: you're running a marathon? And (bonus "Second"): You blog? And (double-bonus "Second"): Who or what is "Vanilla"?

    Take comfort in the fact that the Intertubes felt more of a sense of urgency about your test post than they did about Viper's post from last Monday, which took like 5 days to appear in anyone's reader.

    Good luck at the game. (As I understand it, you're starting QB for the Cards or something ...? Woo-hoo! Iggles fans: Super Bowl, here we come!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. [grudgingly] Good luck in your marathon [/grudgingly]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck Vanilla! You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.