Monday, January 26, 2009

Cheating in Sports Exposed

Since I haven’t run at all since the marathon (did you guys know I ran a marathon?) I thought I’d use this post to give you another peek into the formative years that molded me into the outstanding individual that I am today. I had previously posted an excerpt from some of my grade school writing that talked about my first (perhaps) running experience, and I’ve got another one to show you today.


It says:
June 23 Ian
Yesterday it was Sports day and a ribbon told you if you won or not a red ribbon was first blue was second and green was third and I did not win a ribbon and Tim in blue won the skipping but I saw him cheating and Richard in blue got disqualified because he held it on his head and the second got first and third got second and foreth [sic] got third
Once again I don’t remember much about this, I certainly don’t remember the talking ribbons that told you if you won or not and you would think that one wouldn’t forget something as cool as that. As a point of clarification, Richard was holding a beanbag on his head which was cheating because you were supposed to balance the tiny beanbag on your head while running 100 meters, I don’t think that came through in the story. Also, it appears that this was written sometime before we learned any form of punctuation whatsoever, I’m sorry if you had trouble following it.

I think you can see that even at an early age I was already starting to make excuses for why I didn’t win, obviously I was not winning because everyone else was cheating. Little Timmy and Richard probably thought that they had already suffered enough for their crimes, but they didn’t realize that I was going to re-publish this after all these years, causing them to relive the shame of their youth. To put this in perspective, Tim was my very best friend back in those days, we were as close as brothers and yet I still had no qualms pointing out that he was a cheater. I’m sure that I did it out of love, Jay McGwire and I both know that sometimes a brother needs tough love, especially if you think you can make a fortune by publishing the story. Now where’s my book deal?

Also, skipping? Seriously?

27 comments:

  1. How'd you do in the Flower Picking contest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You couldn't spell "fourth".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's insane!

    Thanks for sharing ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I wish I had won THIS skipping contest...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, you couldn't even place in a skipping contest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, you couldn't even place in a skipping contest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, I can't be happy with one comment? Sorry for the redux.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the punctuation! My eyes, my eyes!! For the love of God, learn to use a period, young Ian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love these quirky little blurps from your childhood! lol did the girls beat you in skipping?!?! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. First you say you "don't remember much" but then you make a "point of clarification" regarding Richard and his beanbag (insert Richard/bean bag joke here).

    Perhaps something else you 'don't remember much' about was tripping theor throwing elbows at your fellow competitors so that you at least didn't take dead last or get beaten by a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't run since the marathon either...it's ok we're supposed to be recovering..right??

    I'm not sure I remember how to skip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha that's great. The next time I am at my parents' house I am going to dig out some of my old stuff just to read it and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is crap. Kristina should edit it before more of your readers go blind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You need to find those guys on Facebook and tell them about this journal of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old journals. That's awesome that you kept it. I have mine too and occasionally post excerpts on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Balancing bean bags on your head? Quality education right there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Little Timmy is a lawyer now and he's gonna sue your behind off.

    Now, you can do what a lot of us do and reenter races to see if we can do better. I bet you can get a blue ribbon now. Or was it a red. . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am I the only one that gets an 'error has occured on this script' message when I leave you a comment? I get it everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm like Pat with the error in script messaging. I get a weird thing everytime I leave a comment here lately.

    Anyway, very funny reflection. I'm sure Tricky Dick and Cheater Tim deserve the exposure of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the heads up about the error message, I'll check into it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome tidbit into your childhood. I wonder if my mom still has things like that from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wait, how do you cheat in skipping?

    Also, that ribbon business sounds suspicious to me. Red first? Blue second? Seriously, your journal is like "through the looking glass."

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were cheated. And I agree with tfh, what kind of Communist school makes the Red ribbon first?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that it was one gigantic run-on sentence. And I think your honesty in pointing out cases of fraud are more admirable than if you'd gotten a ribbon. Teachers always love tattle-tales. :)

    Great job again on the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see you started spreading the blame a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.