Tuesday, January 13, 2009

For Those About To Rock...


For those of you who are going to be in Phoenix this weekend running the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon or Half Marathon, I suggest you wear sunglasses. Not because it’s going to be sunny, although I hear that is occasionally the case in Arizona, but because I have decided that I will be taking this opportunity to debut my fluorescent, neon, day-glo yellow race shirt. (You might be thinking that all those adjectives were superfluous but you won’t when you see the shirt.) So if you see something that looks like a blinding beacon of light lumbering down the road or passed out somewhere on the course, pull your sunglasses on and yell something encouraging to me. I also plan on hanging out for a while after the race in the family reunion area, chances are I’ll be standing sitting lying on the ground somewhere with Candis and her family close by, so please wander over and say hello. Candis and her family will thank you as I’m sure they don’t want to listen to me go on and on about how awesome I am for running a marathon.

Those of you who are not coming to Phoenix to support me can follow along and track my progress on the PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon website (http://www.rnraz.com/). I’ll be wearing bib number 3780 unless it looks like that bib is not doing so well in which case that was just a typo, that’s not me. You may also be able to track my progress right here at Half-Fast as I’m contemplating live blogging the marathon, or more specifically having Candis live blog the marathon for me. Since my mp3 player is also my phone I will be updating Candis periodically on how I’m feeling or what restaurant I’ve stopped at for lunch and Candis will in turn be updating the blog and filtering any of your comments back to me, emphasis on filtering. I’m not completely sure if it will work or if we’ll actually do this, but it is under consideration. If there are no updates then I might have decided not to live blog the marathon, or maybe there were some technical difficulties like I ‘technically’ decided that a marathon would be too ‘difficult’ and just stayed in bed, this is also under consideration.

There is an eager anticipation that I’ve been feeling about the marathon in the past few days. I’m not real sure how to explain it other than to say that whenever I think about the marathon I get butterflies in my stomach, but not the bad kind. I imagine that perhaps this is how General Custer was feeling prior to the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

I look forward to meeting those of you who will be there, shoot me an e-mail and we can figure out a good place to drink beer together after the finish... or before the start.

24 comments:

  1. A hearty good luck to you! Drink before, during and after for proper results. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...we salute you.

    Wait...did anyone go over with you the pain you'll feel 20 miles in? I think we should describe it in great detail just so you know what to expect.

    Good luck and Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be back in England when you're running, so I'll make sure your former countrymen are supporting you. Or not.

    Good luck, Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great luck to you!

    ...and thanks for doing the Shave challenge...

    ~Ms. V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait--you're running a marathon?! In Phoenix?! Me, too! ;)
    See ya in the recovery zone. I'll email you my info so we can find each other in case recovery zone = ER for either one of us.
    Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you might be advising that people put on their shades because you'd be unveiling lily white skin to the sunlight. But I guess I kinda jumped to that conclusion.

    Best of luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, I got friends running in that one too. Don't forget to post pic of the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey jess that's exactly what i was expecting him to say too! lol

    wait a min...YOU'RE running a marathon?

    *looking you up and down*

    really?
    you?
    why?

    :) good luck! i'll check out that website to see if i can see you go speeding (read:limping) by the camera

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may be looking forward to this marthon more than I did my own. These race reports better be damn good boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for the race!! WHOOHOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a good kind of stomach butterfly? Who knew!

    Glad you're looking forward to it. Hope you kick marathon ass and have a great time doing it.

    Me, I shall skip directly to the beer drinking part in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be following along...but I have a busy Weekend and will only be able to dedicate about 3 hours to watching. Please accomodate me and finish within that time frame. Thanks.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is beer allowed in the hospital? Maybe you could convince the Dr's to let you and Razz bunk in the same room post marathon :P

    About The Hat . . .yeah that baby would be burned at my doorstep. Sorry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. With all of your dedication and training that you've put into this 1st. marathon, I'm sure that you'll set a PR. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck!
    Looking forward to reading the pain report ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great time (pun intended)!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck you and good luck me! Just remember, as bad as it will be at mile 21, this is a flat course, so it's a lot better than all those races that get hilly near the end (LA for example).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will SO be following your tracker!! I can't WAIT!! Good luck Vanilla!!! Have fun...and don't make us wait too long for the race report please...LOL

    I'm very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny, like Jess, I thought this was going to be a post about your frighteningly white skin (I'm a fellow Whitey McWhiteskin).

    Anyway, good luck and keep running. It's a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.