Friday, January 23, 2009

Marathon Race Pictures

A post in which I debut the Wizard of Oz heel-kick finishing move and the post race Double Guns pose.


The space blanket makes it official.

The race pictures are now available from the PF Chang’s Rock ‘N’ Roll Arizona Marathon over at Action Sports. I’ve never actually ordered an official race picture before but I think I might make an exception for this race. Paying for a race picture will make me feel better about all the times I’ve blatantly stolen race pictures from these sites.

I also put together some pictures and video clips below. The quality sucks, but as soon as the video starts playing you should see a small “HQ” logo in the bottom right corner of the video. Click the “HQ” logo to watch the video in High Quality because it really, really sucks otherwise, but in HQ it only kinda sucks. Either way it’s still mostly images of me so you don’t want to expose your eyes to it for too long... it will make everything else you look at today seem dull and boring.


I think I’ve found my trademark finishing move.

I actually managed to find Razz and his sister after the race and he secretly confided in me that he’s a huge CU Buff fan, I even managed to get a picture of him wearing his favorite CU jersey. You might be thinking that Nebraska beat CU this year which is true, but they didn’t cover the spread. At first I felt bad making Razz wear the jersey since his team did actually win the game, but then I realized that this was all the satisfaction that I was going to get out of the game so here he is:

New profile picture, Razz?


Why am I still running in this picture?

On a recovery note, I think I’m healing up quite nicely. I can go up and down stairs with ease and I no longer groan when I get up out of my office chair. I haven’t run since the marathon, but I’m thinking about going for a short run this weekend, or maybe next weekend, I haven’t decided which yet. I thought I heard that you were supposed to take 2 weeks off after a marathon while continuing to carb load, but I could be wrong. I guess I’ll have to find other things to blog about while I’m not running.

Enjoy the weekend!

35 comments:

  1. RazZ does have a peculiar look of satisfaction on his face while wearing that jersey. Looks natural.

    Your race shirt is screwing up my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why am I still running in this picture?"

    Um...because it's looks better when you run across the finish line than crawling?

    Grats on the race, more grats for finishing the race, and even more grats for looking good when finishing the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jersey burned my skin. I felt oddly overrated when I wore it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be glad to help you with your carbo loading by having a beer in your honor, because finishing a marathon is a feat to be proud of fo 'sho!

    No need to thank me...I like to do what I can for others, and it's kind of my way for giving back for all the amusement I've gotten from your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love the heel kick at the end! Sadly, I'm way too uncoordinated to ever pull that off myself.

    Great pics too! Also love seeing your little ones. They're adorable.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great video. I think you pulled off that little heel jump thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look really good crossing the finish line, there. I'm afraid I would look like I was tottering towards deaths' door if I did one.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess you weren't kidding about the dayglo race shirt. Congrats. I'd like to try the heel click but I'd probably face plant on the finishing line and what kind of picture would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow did you color that shirt with a highlighter? Seriously my eyes...

    Great report. I loved the pictures and the video. I can't believe you heel clicked at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That heel click seriously created the coolest finish line photo ever-- I'm amazed you went so high and didn't fall down! Your cinematographer did a fantastic job picking you out in the crowd early-- I say the shirt was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You obviously had too much left in the tank if you could heel-kick and keep running well past the finish mat.

    I keep wondering why my eyes won't stop burning ever since reading this post. Too much Half-Fast? The horror, the horror.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pictures! :) Better than mine. At least you look like your enjoying yourself. Glad that your recovering nicely. I'm scared for what's going to happen to me after the marathon.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad everything went well in the end.

    That shirt tho! It burns our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dood it looks like you're taking a piss in midair. I love it! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blinding. Absolutely blinding.

    Not the speed. The SHIRT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvelous job!

    So, the real question is, have you picked out the next race (marathon?) yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats marathoner!!!!!
    The second one is easier than the first. So you gonna go for another one??

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should frame that shirt like they do in the sports bars!!!

    I'm so happy for you!! What an awesome feeling, huh????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pics and video! But most of all I'm amazed you had the energy to pull off the heel click. You're hardcore. ;)

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots! I wish my race pics came out that well. And that finish line move--classic. Just as good--if not better than--my hop skip and jump over the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Take two weeks off after a marathon? Nell Ho! Take two weeks to get ready for Mary #2 ... that's my ingenious plan. The body will never be expecting that!

    You were still running at the end because it's easier to pass people to the medical tent that way!

    Honestly, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. NICE!! Although you are shorter than I imagined. :D Yes, I know, someday I will get that back in spades, like "somehow I thought you were thinner" or some such blow. I did crack up at your comment about cursing Nitmos.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been lurking and reading your blog for quite awhile and thought it was high time to finally comment. Congrats on a great race and a very, um, . . . visible shirt. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. congrats on the 4:30, I hope to run that good in April (Illinois). Terrific job. Most have been awesome to have your family there rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool. Nice vid!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on the marathon finish. Unbelievable that you clicked your heels...

    I'm a complete fan of wearing dayglo colors in a big race!

    ReplyDelete
  27. AMAZING photo of the heel kick. I LOVE it!!! But you know it just demoralized each and every single runner who finished after you, right? There they are trying to convince their friends and families that they've just completed this arduous, impossible feat and you're leaping about like a red squirrel on crack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on running a great marathon dude!!

    I'm loving your video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on the great finish. The question is, what is next? You should at least walk soon. It really will help, even if you don't wanna.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Apparently your video is blocked for visitors from Poland. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm back in the states...

    (Don't I sound so sophisticated saying "the states" instead of "America" or "the US"?)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey there! I found your blog from Junk Miles. Great race! I was there too! Muddling along battling bronchitis and a knee injury...I was definitely behind you!

    My pictures are terrible...and only from the finish line. I distinctly remember seeing cameras elsewhere...did you have a lot of pics?

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice video of the race...I love the where your kids are totally uninterested in the race, I can totally see my boys acting like that....congrats on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome! I'll have to try that heel kick thing the next time...Or not!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your little guys' signs! How could you NOT be inspired?

    Sounds like you ran a smart and gutsy race, Vanilla. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. you make it look so easy! how do you possibly have that much energy at the end! you are not supposed to be smiling like that!

    well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.