Wednesday, December 5, 2007

In Memory

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I learned late Sunday night that a friend of mine, Jason Wenger, was shot and killed in Spenard, AK on Sunday morning. Jason was a dear friend and an inspiration to me as a writer. I have tried on several occasions to sit down and write a post for today, but I don’t have it in me to be funny right now. There will be no humor today at Half-Fast, there will be no post today that is “...dripping with thick snazzberry syrup sarcasm” – a phrase that was originally penned by my late friend Jason Wenger.

I will miss Jason dearly. I will miss his goofy smile. I will miss his passion. I will miss trading literary barbs with him in our fantasy football league, mundane as that may sound.

I wish that I could write something that would adequately eulogize Jason in a manner that I feel is appropriate, but I will never be as eloquent as he was. I found the following on the Jason Wenger Memorial Blog, it is the conclusion to a paper that Jason wrote a year ago:

“... it is my responsibility as a lover of fiction to be an active member in my community and world. In the case of many writers, this activity takes shape in politics and action. Here I must again admit my shortcomings. My heart is much more drawn to the individual, rather than the population. I suppose this is again representative of my world view. I believe in individual and personal civil service. I hope to remain humble, and to emulate the example of the servant, Jesus Christ. I do not wish this for myself in order to gain respect, admiration, or a ticket stub that certifies my entrance to heaven. On the contrary, I don’t believe I can earn such grace or mercy. But in striving to live my life as a servant, I pray that God will bless me with the wisdom to suffer the intolerance of my sin, and the ability to strengthen my love for Him and His creation. If in the act of service, I continue to gain ideas, experience conflicts, empathize with characters, benefit my fellow man and take notes, I will consider myself worthy to be called a writer.”
I do not grieve like those who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4: 13, 14) for Jason was above all else a God fearing man and I will see my friend again when I arrive in heaven. Until that time, I will remember fondly our fellowship on this earth and look forward to continuing that fellowship in eternity. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with Jason's family who have suffered a greater loss than I.

My friend and brother in Christ, Jason Wenger (Jan. 30, 1980 – Dec. 2, 2007)

38 comments:

  1. I, too, am sorry for you losing a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I think there is no better way to honor a friend (and writer) than to let his own words stand in his place. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am sorry for your loss. Hugs , he's in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that he's able to read your words from heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((HUGS))) I am so sorry for your loss :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds like an amazing guy who had his priorities in order. So sorry about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. His words were beautiful, thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds like an inspiring person, someone who strove to use the talents and gifts he had for the greatest purpose: demonstrating the loving kindness that is personified in Jesus.

    I am very sorry for your loss and that of his family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ian, my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Jason sounds like an amazing friend who will be missed dearly. I'm praying that God uses Jason's life for his glory, and I'm praying that you'll lean fully on the grace of God to get you through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man... I am truly sorry to hear this. I saw this on www.9news.com the other day. My thought and prayer are with you.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. You said it all, though, right here: I do not grieve like those who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4: 13, 14).
    Praise God for that assurance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear you have lost a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a comfort to know that God makes no mistakes! I'll miss his friendship. His hugs, his goofy laugh. Hard to believe he's really gone. We'll see him again someday and we'll rejoice together with our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ian, (((hug)))

    My deepest sympathies. I'll say a prayer for all his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing, sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sincere condolences. Sorry man.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was an amazing writer and friend. Thanks for sharing his words with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My prayers are with you and everyone else who was close to him. He sounds like an amazing man who had an outlook on life we should all strive for. I pray for his soul and that all who were touched by him will be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sorry for your loss. What a touching tribute to a brother in Christ. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very sorry to hear about this. And thanks for telling us about this great guy. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing his words and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers are with yours and his family at this difficult time. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very well put, you are a classy man.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, V, very sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It sounds like you're in Colorado, not Alaska...but you might like to know that his workplace, ASSETS, is hosting a memorial for him on Tuesday, and the creative writing department at the Univ. of Alaska Anchorage will be holding a memorial Jan. 15, immediately after our semester break.

    I am -- was, I guess -- a classmate of Jason's in the creative writing program. We've all suffered a great loss, and I'm continually amazed by just how many people he managed to reach and affect. Every day since his death, I hear of more and more people profoundly affected by his loss -- and that is heartening, to know that he was so important to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog today. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jason's memorial at Assets, Inc (2330 Nichols St) will be from 4-6pm Tuesday Dec 11.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoa. So sorry to read this. Stuff like this is just so jolting. I got a lump in my throat when I read that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It has been almost ten years, but this one still gets me. Senseless. A huge loss for not only Jason's family and friends, but also for the world.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.