Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Requisite “Year In Review” Post

If you write a blog or a column or are the programming director for a TV station then you know that the easiest way to fill in content at this time of the year when you probably don’t feel like working is to do the “Year In Review” thing. You might call it ‘the best of’ or ‘the worst of’ or the ‘top 10 moments in 2007’ but it’s all the same thing. It’s an easy post/TV show. You talk a little about some significant events, you link to those articles/show old footage, you reminisce, and then you wrap up by talking about the upcoming year. Hey presto! You’ve got yourself a blog post.

This is my “2007: Year in Review” post. The only difference between my review and all the others you will read is that I’m sexier than everyone else that’s doing it, but since I won’t be posting any pictures of myself in this entry I guess that doesn’t really matter.

On April 1st, 2007 I started Half-Fast. I felt that April Fools Day was an appropriate date for what I had in mind for this blog and I stand by that decision. The only bad thing about it is that when Half-Fast turns one on April 1st 2008 I won’t know whether to do a celebratory post or an April Fools Day joke post. Ahhh, who am I kidding? I’m going for the joke post all the way. Half-Fast has turned out pretty much exactly the way I envisioned it and I look forward to bigger and better things in the coming year so be sure to stay tuned.

Over this past year my thoughts on running have changed as dramatically as my goals have. My original profile on this blog stated that I intended to run only the Bolder Boulder 10K every year, as I had done the previous 2 years. Of the 3 years that I’ve been a runner, this has been the year that I’ve taken it more seriously than before. This is the first year I have entered other races, and is the first year that I’ve followed any kind of training plan that included speedwork or tempo runs. I ran my first half marathon this year in under 2 hours, looking back this is probably what I am most proud of as a runner. I’m also proud of the fact that every race this year was a PR, admittedly some by default, but I continue to improve as a runner and hope to continue this trend through 2008.

Also, I never thought I’d run a marathon, but now I can see one on the distant horizon. Yes, just one.

13 comments:

  1. I like the new digs, Vanilla. I, too, got a little more serios about the running this year. Hopefully 2008 brings even greater things!

    Do we get a mileage total?
    Will you run 9 with the bloggers on the 9th of February?? :D

    Enjoyed you much in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work with your blog. I have enjoyed your blog tremendously. I look forward to reading more and more in 2008.
    -- Keep rocking --

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the one year blogoversary to see what you have in store -- I have high joke expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your comment about the weather on Jess' blog, and knew you had to be from Denver. I am also from the denver area and I am getting a little bit sick of this weather...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some impressive pr's for this year, and that light at the end of the tunnle that you think is a marathon, might be a train comming at you...:P If I do not blog till next year, have a safe weekend and new years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh might have to steel this idea for a blog this weekend (don't worry, I'll give you props).

    Marathon, eh? I just want to get healthy. I swear it's one thing or another. At least I would win a snot rocket marathon, if there was such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I predict in a couple of years you will need to write a post to amend your comment about "just one marathon" after you become a marathon fanatic. It could happen.

    Very cool slap bands. I had to Google them to see if they were like the things my daughters used to play with when they were kids. The ad said, "...incredibly popular with children and adolescents..." Just perfect for Vanilla! :-) Happy running in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're up for a marathon, maybe you should check this one out...

    Don't be fooled by the name - they allow guys and it seems like it might be right up your alley (don't know what the wife might think though).

    AND it's at sea level which would make you feel like a rock-star.


    Nike Women's Marathon
    Where: San Francisco, California
    When: October 19
    Age of Race: Running since 2002
    Highlights: Hills, Urban, Great Foods, Lavish Fuel Stations, Entertainment, Cool Schwag, Star Power

    Every marathon is 26.2 miles and every hotel is a place to sleep, but what sets them apart from the rest are the amenities. This marathon has special touches galore--most geared toward the 95 percent of runners who are women, including a "coat check" to drop your warmups at 2.5 miles; a "pedi-care" station for blister treatment or a change of socks; a Ghirardelli chocolate stop; and a Tiffany's necklace given to you at the finish by a fireman dressed in a tux.

    ROUTE: The course takes you past so many scenic areas that many runners carry cameras. From Union Square, you run through the Financial District and Fisherman's Wharf; along the bay with unobstructed views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge; up into the eucalyptus and cypress forests of Presidio National Park; five miles apiece in Golden Gate Park, along Ocean Beach, and around Lake Merced; and finish on the ocean. The city's steep, cable-car hills are avoided, but three hefty climbs at miles six, eight, and 11 mean you should run to have a good time, not to run one.
    ENTERTAINMENT: There are 39 stations with live music, DJs, and cheering squads, plus two more bands at the finish.
    SPECTATORS: Some wait at the finish, which is near miles 11 and 16. Others take free shuttle buses to two of the four cheer stations, where comedians keep them in good cheer.
    REFUEL: Fourteen fluid stations and seven food stations with Luna Bars, Luna Sport Moons Energy Chews, bananas, granola, or chocolate. Postrace spread features Bear Naked granola with yogurt and bananas, and to wash it down, Jamba Juice smoothies.
    SCHWAG: Technical T-shirt, loaded goody bag, plus the Tiffany's version of a finishers' medal. The Nike Expotique also offers massages, manicures, and yoga classes.
    STAR POWER: Nike athletes give expo talks; 2007 speakers included Joan Benoit Samuelson (who also led a pace team) and Brandi Chastain.
    TAKE NOTE: Men are outnumbered by women, 20-to-1, but they are welcome to participate, which gives them a rare shot of a great placing in the men's division. Registration opens in March or April, and the 8,000 marathon slots have sold out within three days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, great idea for a post. mine might look similar, but I will definitely be giving you props for the idea...

    Looks like you had a successful year... and another one to come! Happy New year... soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ian, it was a pleasure finding your blog this year. I look forward to reading in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got the urge to start blogging this year. So is next year the year of Half Fast Podcasts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hald Fast podcasts, that would be good...
    Great year looking forward to your future marathon report.

    Cheers for a great 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty exciting that you can see the "distant horizon" and what it might hold. I am having problems even seeing past this evening lately ...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.