Monday, December 31, 2007

Personal Running Log - December 2007

You’ve heard the expression “falling off the wagon,” this is what it looks like (see running log below). Once my racing season was over I got into a one-run-a-week rut. Nancy asked in the comments of a previous post if I was going to give a final mileage total for the year, but at the beginning of the year I was using the highly advanced, technological method of writing my times on a piece of paper to track them. I no longer have the piece of paper and even if I did I doubt that I’d feel like totaling all those runs up for an annual result. What I can tell you is that since July 1st of this year I have run 416 miles, so if you make the assumption that I ran an equal amount during the first 6 months of the year then I guess I ran 832 miles this year. I have no idea if that’s an accurate assumption, but you know what they say about making assumptions right? When you make ass-u-mptions you make an “ass” out of “u” and “mptions.”

My initial thought when I was calculating my annual mileage was that I should set myself a goal of 1000 miles for 2008, but I really couldn’t care less how many miles I run in ’08. What I’m more concerned with is how much faster I can get in 2008. If that equals more miles, then I’m okay with that. If it equals less miles, then I’m even more okayer with it. I’ll get a post up in January detailing my goals for 2008, it will be more focused on getting faster than it will be on total miles.

Have a safe and happy new year everyone, I’m not posting again until next year. I’ve really enjoyed reading all your comments, many of your blogs and getting to know you all this year. 2008 is going to be a good year, I can feel it.

DateRouteTypeDistanceTimePace
12/31/20075 Miles Out & BackEasy5 Mi47:459:33
12/29/20077 Miles Out & BackLong7 Mi1:10:3310:05
12/27/2007Home TreadmillEasy4 Mi39:119:48
12/22/2007Misc RouteLong6.87 Mi1:07:079:47
12/16/20073 Mile LoopEasy3 Mi31:0710:23
12/8/2007Misc RouteRace8 Mi1:13:119:09
12/6/2007Misc RouteInterval5.2 Mi49:509:35
12/4/2007Home TreadmillEasy1.5 Mi14:329:42
12/2/2007Misc RouteRace5 km25:568:21
12/1/20076 Mile Loop Short HillEasy5.91 Mi57:299:44
Totals:
Distance: 50 miles
Total Time: 7:56:41

13 comments:

  1. Falling off the wagon a term I have become too comfortable with since Thanksgiving. Have a safe and happy new year. Cheers to a speedy 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speed over distance, eh? So, that's how it's going to be. Well, I don't have either, really :D

    Be safe tonight and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about the minimum. Quality over quantity. It has definitely worked for me in the past, and I plan to continue that pattern in the new year. Good luck to you and have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to get lost in the numbers! Good luck with 2007!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would like to see an improvement in my speed. That is a good goal to have. In my case I have to also include more miles as mine really weren't there this year. I fell off the wagon as well but I think I hit my head, causing me to forget to get back on. :( )


    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all over this speed thing, unfortunately for me this means running more miles...faster.

    Of course this does be the question will you be, this time next year, be renamed three quarters fast or five eighths fast?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "More okayer". Nice.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come on... Some one has to make mention of the "assumption" quote... Hilarious. Here's to a faster 2008. Thanks for keeping me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that you have a great 2008!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 9th grade Old Testament teacher who was the only ex-nun at my Catholic high school told us what assumptions mean.

    I'm making a goal to run 1,000 miles AND be fast!

    Can't wait to hear your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when I make an ass out of umptions. I do it often.

    Happy new year and cheers to getting faster!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I barely track numbers at all -- maybe I need to add that to my 2008 resolutions, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goal is 600 miles. It sounds pitiful compared to yours, but it basically just means I have to stay consistent with my running. I've found that one of my biggest pitfalls is going all-out for a month or so, and then doing nothing for two. 50 miles a month means I can't give up!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.