Monday, December 3, 2007

Wind, I Hate It

Colder Bolder 5K Race Report

I knew that it was going to be cold on Sunday while I was attempting to PR at the Colder Bolder 5K, but I had no idea that it was going to be so windy. I HATE wind. It was 34 degrees outside and the average wind speed was 13mph with gusts registering speeds upwards of 28mph.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the Colder Bolder it consists of 13 separate races. Each of the first 12 races are invitational races where runners are invited to participate based on their Bolder Boulder 10K time from earlier in the year. The 13th race is an open race for runners who didn’t run the Bolder Boulder. I guess that’s how an open race works. I was invited to the 10th race which was for runners who finished the Bolder Boulder between 56:00 and 57:59. The idea is that everyone can be competitive in each of the races, but looking at past results it seemed that there were always a few runners in each race that were somewhat ahead of the curve.

I stood at the line with 65 other runners, none of whom had run the Bolder Boulder any faster than me (56:00) 6 months earlier. I had set myself a goal of running an 8:00 minute mile pace and I felt like I should be able to stay with the front runners. When the air horn sounded it was evident that all 65 runners felt the same way and we all started out faster than Thanksgiving shoppers bursting in to Target at 6am. After a quarter mile I checked my Garmin to reveal that we were running at a 6:24 minute mile pace! To be quite honest I didn’t even think I was capable of running at that speed. I slowed down and watched droves of runners overtake me. At that point I was probably in 40th place and I decided to focus on beating my PR instead of beating all the other speedsters out there.

At the half mile mark we turned a corner and were met head on with a gusting wind and slight hill. All of a sudden we were back to being the slower runners that we were supposed to be. Somewhere in Antarctica Heinz ketchup was flowing out of a bottle at a faster pace than we were moving. We ran into a headwind for most of mile 2 and even though I didn’t feel like I was moving very fast I found myself passing a lot of seemingly winded runners.

I ended up finishing 15th in my race with a time of 25:56 which is a new PR. My splits were reflective of the headwind we faced: 8:11 – 9:02 – 8:11. I was hoping for something a little better, but I’ll take it given the circumstances.

When we got home from the race I got up on the roof and put up our Christmas lights, we’re going with blue this year. (Just like the last 5 years.) Once the lights were up I was starting to feel pretty chilled and I knew that it was time for an ice bath, Half-Fast style.

Cheer Team Vanilla once again braved the cold for the opportunity to ring their cowbells.


Daddy didn’t get to the podium but Cheer Team Vanilla is #1 (and #3).


All you can eat hot pancake breakfast = Why we run.

23 comments:

  1. Must have been a nasty wind. 6:24 is mind bloggling! At least you aren't slower than Heinz all the time.

    Great job. Sounds like a fun format. Love the kid pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really big PR for you, isn't it? Awesome job!

    Ok, um, I love the kid in the blue coat. He's really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that's the one I love too.

    My previous 5K PR was 27:10

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of cheer team vanilla equally, although the one in the blue coat allows me to get more hugs and kisses. They're both lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy fastness batman!

    Those pancakes are making me hungry. hmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your PR. Those pancakes look tiny. Good thing they were all you can eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your race. Does anyone like the wind? Kite makers and hang gliders are the only ones. Running into the wind can be demoralizing.

    I've never done that type of race series. It sounds good in theory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome PR!!! Congrats!!! It would be terrific if the wind is pushing your back instead of facing headwind. I always like when the wind is pushing my back. Again, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude you have the cutest cheer team!

    Holy mother! Look at you getting all speedy in the wind!! Awesome job my friend, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hooo PR. You All-Fast!

    I love team vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish we had a race like that around here. I would assume that if you were hurting during the bolder bolder and then healed you'd run a great colder bolder.

    congrats on your pr

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely have the cutest cheering team. Congrats on a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been enjoying your blog ever since I found it while searching for pictures from the Denver Marathon. (You know how you get after a trauma like that--you just want to relive it.) Anyhow, my little running posse and I ran the Colder Boulder yesterday too and I thought I found you but it was a different couple with two adorable boys. My one speedy-fast friend did hers in 22 minutes. Injured. I still like her, though. I had hoped for 26:00 but I made it just under 27:00.
    Strange, your pancakes don't look like rubber frisbees?
    Congratulations on your PR "uphill both ways in the snow"! We're planning on the Rudolph's Revenge, too, maybe I'll manage to freak out the right family this time and say hello. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living (and running) in a small mountain valley, "F the wind" used to be my mantra during nearly every run until I realized if I can power thru the headwind, the tailwind will make me fly. Besides that, I hear running against wind is like hill-training... without beating up the knees. I've come to appreciate the benefits of "wind training", even if I don't enjoy it.

    Congrats on the nifty PR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the Team Vanilla pics, too cute! Congrats on the new PR. The ice bath sounds like a great reward.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am with you - I hate wind. I have yet to find one thing it is good for. In addition to a true PR - make sure you note the wind effect. Think how fast you would have run without the benefits of resistence! Spectacular time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice work this weekend! I did not see those as being PR conditions (I missed mine by 9 seconds, grrr...) How great were the Xmas lights leading into the chute? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are getting crazy fast on us! Just wait until that next 5K and think of the windless PR you will be able to pull off ;) Nice going and super cute cheer team!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow 6 minutes! That is friggin awesome, you are totally going pro aren't you?

    man now i really want some pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job on your new PR. Those times are awesome, especially with the wind and temps. The pix of the kids are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Same story 2 years later and in Seattle. Went to break 27 min and the wind was miserable... Though I got a PR couldn't reach my goal....Love this post of yours!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.