Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Kryptonite

I attended a Holiday Party yesterday afternoon that was thrown for my department by another group in the company. We send a lot of business their way and they always have an afternoon Holiday Party for us in December. It was an opportunity for me to showcase my iron willpower and forgo all the calorie rich foods on display, a time to amaze my coworkers with my tenacious pursuit of healthy eating. There was a token platter of fruit and some bottled water at one end of the spread, it was easy to spot because there was no one circling that end of the table. I would be the Spartan among them.

I grabbed a plate of fruit and a bottle of water, but as I was turning to go mingle I caught a glimpse of the most wonderful looking sugar cookies that you’ve ever seen. You know the kind, with icing on top that is made by mixing powdered sugar, water and heaven. To be honest I don’t even like the cookies that much but it’s apparently impolite to just lick the icing off and toss the cookies, which you undoubtedly do if you only eat the icing. A rainbow of colors burst forth from the little holiday themed shapes of paradise and a beam of sunlight shone down from above to the accompaniment of an angelic chorus of “Hallelujah! Hallelujah!”


I didn’t even hesitate. I grabbed one and placed it next to the fruit on my plate. I ate it quickly and then licked the crumbs from the plate so that I could regain the appearance that I was only having fruit. It was delicious. DE - LICIOUS! I walked to the trash can, disposed of the fruit and went back for another couple of cookies. Pretty soon the water bottle had been discarded too in favor of a pumpkin spice latte from the barista, because that goes much better with cookies anyway.

My conversations with coworkers grew shorter and shorter, my eyes nervously flitting over to the plate of cookies. Would it be inappropriate to excuse myself from the conversation to go get more cookies? How can I end this conversation and break away? For the love of all things holy will you please stop talking and let me go grab MORE COOKIES!

I lost count of how many cookies I’d eaten somewhere after 7 but my consumption was definitely north of that mark. I didn’t eat anything else because nothing else would have been able to compare. As I was about to head back to my office I grabbed a napkin and placed a couple of extra cookies in it ‘for later’. Except as soon as I got back into my office I closed the door and inhaled both of those too, and you know what? I don’t even feel the least bit guilty. In fact, I wish that I had brought even more cookies back with me so that I could have eaten them all. It is a miracle, a Christmas Miracle that I didn't go back for more cookies later. So I don't know how many cookies I ate yesterday, and I like it better that way. It was a good day!

I was like Cookie Monster, but not the new version of Cookie Monster that claims that cookies are a sometimes food and eats them in moderation after a well balanced meal. No, I remember a Cookie Monster that used to eat as many cookies as he could and then eat the plate too. Yeah, that was me yesterday.

17 comments:

  1. That is great, enjoy the memory of them for the next year. Cookies are one of the basic food groups this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, Vanilla. Oreo Balls are my achilles heel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oreo balls??

    Vanilla, your post set my mouth a-waterin'. I can't wait to go home and scarf down five pounds of my mom's homemade Buckeyes! Is the picture in your post an image of the actual party cookies? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But see, that's the beauty of running. When your coworkers look at you in horror after you've reached for your tenth cookie you can say (slurringly, through a mouthful of crumbs) "What? I'm a runner. I need the carbs"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before we go down a dangerous path, Oreo Balls are the following:

    1 package of crushed oreos
    1 brick of cream cheese
    Mix
    Dip into white or dark chocolate
    Consume by the truckload

    Glad to know I can justify like Laces does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate (no joke) about 2 dozen of the peanut butter (with hershey kiss in the middle) cookies this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be genetic. I would die for iced sugar cookies. Yum. I was dreaming about them today at work, maybe I could make some for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nibbles, that's not a picture of the actual cookies. I almost took a picture on my phone, but then I didn't want to be THAT guy.

    RazZDoodle, can I use the double stuffed fudge covered oreo's in that recipe? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abso-friggin-lutely you can!

    BTW, I'd have been the guy taking the picture of the guy taking the picture of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been there! Done that and I am not ashamed of it! People thinks I am a slob but inside their mind, they are so envious of me cuz I run all the times and they don't. Your post really cracked me up! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to my world of pure cookie addiction! I found long ago that I have a "cookie limit" and over that point it is almost like some weird kind of sugar intoxication. Enjoy your season!

    PS..Can you join us for our virtual white elephant gift exchange? I be honored to see what you can find online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor cookie monster. I refuse to watch him these days. Fruit? Veggies? Cookies once in awhile? Wha?
    The whole show has just gone downhill...

    Anyway, "THAT guy" who is taking pictures of the cookies with his phone is so me. (the girl version of course)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a major cookie frenzy today in my office, too. It was amazingly out of control. I can't even count how many I ate. But they were damn good. And since I messed up the calorie count for the entire day, I am finishing it up now with some vino.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm s glad you indulged. If you just had fruit and water at a holiday party, I don't think I could respect you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think i can make you feel better...read my monday, december 17th entry in my blog...the question we have to ask is do we run so that we can eat cookies or because we eat cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and my dog. My dog ate a whole freaking plate of adorably frosted sugar cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.