Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Nobody Likes a Quitter

I’m quitting the Rudolph’s Revenge 10K that I had planned for this Saturday. I don’t think they’ll actually cancel the race when they realize that I won’t be running it, but it will probably feel like they should have. Due to some other things that have come up, (a friend’s kid’s birthday party that I feel like I should attend) I will have to miss this race. To be quite honest I don’t really know that it’s accurate to say that I’m going to ‘miss’ it, but I certainly won’t be in attendance.

I’m a little bummed about it but also a little relieved. This brings my racing season to an end as of last Saturday, which in turn means that I can get off my strict runners diet of low fat cheesecake and baked lays potato chips and get back to the salty greasy full-fat chips that I love so much, hopefully they’ll have some at the birthday party. You know... for the kids.

I am disappointed because I know that at least a couple of you were going to be running the race and I was looking forward to meeting you. I know that you’ll miss me, but you’ll pull through, I’m certain of it. And you know what they say: If life deals you lemons... just add vodka. So instead of running a race at 10am this Saturday, I’ll be at a birthday party, drinking. Wait, what? What do you mean they don’t serve alcohol at kid’s parties? If there’s one kind of party where it should be mandatory to serve alcohol it’s a 3-year-old’s birthday party. Have you ever been to one? Kids running around all hopped up on cake and fruit punch. It’s dreadful. I want to have a drink just thinking about it, and you know what? I think I will. After all, I’m not ‘in training’ any more.

12 comments:

  1. We served alcohol at the kids birthday parties until they got to be 5 or 6. That was when the parties became "kid only", and one lucky parent had them all, while the other lucky parents stayed home and celebrated!

    I always thought it was "when life deals you lemons, get out the tequila and salt", but your way works, too. You've made some major progress this year, and you've also inspired me to get back to speed work, so I can keep up with you when you run in snow and I run on dry pavement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert, but I don't think it's a bad idea to keep a little buzz going until next racing season. It'll take twice-daily maintenance, but you could totally do it.
    Just start taking the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always change your mind! I used to live near Chatfield State Park. It is a great place to run with a breathtaking view of the foothills. Look at this way, run the race and be there in time for the birthday party. It will do you good! This should top it all as the last race of 2007. GO FOR IT !!! then reward yourself by having a little drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers to a great season! I liked that if life give you lemons add vodka. I always heard, squirt it in the eyes of your enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to a great season! I liked that if life give you lemons add vodka. I always heard, squirt it in the eyes of your enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good ending to a run season, now you will neet to share your thoughts on low fat cheesecake. I think that you should wake up this weekend have your vodka, run the 10K, and then head over to the birthday party, drunk and stinky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you have Saturday is something I like to call a "flask event." Look into it. You can thank me later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear lord. so THIS is what i have to look forward to? thanks for the heads up, vanilla. i'll head to costco and stock up on vodka now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you can put vodka in cheesecake, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd have to give me a whole bottle of vodka to attend a 3yo party. When mine has a birthday you'll see me in the corner taking sips out the big brown paper bag :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the good news is, all the girls and some of the boys at the race will now be able to run since we won't be, how'd it go? "lost in those steely blue eyes." Welcome to non-training! Personally, I'm finding that it's liberating. Not diet-wise, but more devilmaycare exericise-wise. (You can go to that Jazzercise class you've always wanted to try!) I don't particularly care how I do on Saturday. I ran the Boulder res today and it took me sooo long in the slushy snow. And I didn't care. Have fun with the chillens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mis-read the title of this post as "Nobody likes a Quilter." I think your version works too -- but you can't call someone a quitter if they are brave enough to attend a party filled with screaming laughing crying three year olds. A nutter, maybe, but certainly not a quitter!
    (Hey. It might be fun. You never know.)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.