Friday, August 31, 2007

Soccer > Running

Crunchy 'Nanas blogger and occasional Half-Fast commenter Nora recently had an article published on Complete Running about how soccer burns more fat and increases muscle mass more than running. This is of particular interest to me as I play soccer on a regular basis, and what better picture to use with this post than that of the most recognizable soccer player on the face of the planet.


For those of you who don't know who that is (hard to imagine) it's soccer star David Beckham and his wife Victoria (Posh Spice). Marcy has mentioned in the past that I need more pictures of cute guys on this blog and while I may disagree with her I suspect that my female readers would probably share her opinion. Hopefully this is something for everyone, and if Becks doesn't do it for you ladies, then I don't know who to post pictures of because come on... he almost does it for me.

Apparently a team of researchers at the University of Copenhagen conducted an experiment that featured 3 groups of men; a group that played soccer for 3 months, a group that ran, and a passive control group. As stated above, the group that played soccer burned more fat, and increased muscle mass more than either of the other groups. More details here. Incidentally if you ever have the opportunity to get paid to be in a scientific exercise experiment try to be part of the passive control group, because that's as close as you'll ever get to free money. Well, that and when the blind man next door asks me if I've got change for a $20, but there's less guilt involved in being part of the passive control group. Sorry, I'd love to walk with you and take the stairs but I'm under strict orders not to exercise, so I guess I'll wait for the elevator.

Speaking of less guilt, I've been counting my weekly soccer matches as "cross training" on my half marathon training schedule, but until this point I've felt like that was kind of cheating. I don't feel so guilty about that now. I guess sometimes it's just helpful to have someone else reaffirm things for you. Whenever I feel guilty about something I've learned that the first step to recovery is being able to forgive myself, and after that I tell myself "go ahead and do whatever you want, it's OK with me."

Oh, and by the way, DO NOT Google David Beckham without the safe search feature on. Or do, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Above picture found at With Leather, originally from the 'W' magazine photo shoot. Additional racier pictures from the shoot can be found here (although unfortunately there’s still no nudity).

15 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhh Vanilla you're the man! But he's not "cute" he's HOT :P Thanks for man steak of the day ;D

    Now you know I'm going to have to google David Beckham without the safe search. I'm a glutton for punishment. Ohhhh dear . .I'm a little scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I got a little drool on your post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you thank you thank you.

    I didn't even bother to read most of the post, I'm sure it is enlightening and witty as ever. I just saw the warning about googling Becks.

    I'm making myself a martini and clicking "I'm Feeling Lucky"

    ReplyDelete
  4. so quick, off the topic question for you.

    have you ever heard of anyone running the 22 mile na pali coast trail in kauai, in one day? my husband recently did it, and yes, he is completey insane.
    (http://lewisgirls.blogspot.com/2007/08/feats-of-strength-na-pali-coast.html)

    I'm curious if anyone else has ever done it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm... Err... Lots of tickets slod in Denver for the Rapids match and he didn't even show...
    Hmmm...

    Talk about free money!

    Now I should mention that I did find a twenty dollar bill in a Safeway parking lot the other day. No one has come to me to report that they had lost it as of yet...

    Now that is really, truly free money...

    ReplyDelete
  6. First: I totally appreciate the Beckham photo. There is never a wrong time to throw one of them into the mix.

    Second: Soccer is totally cross training! Maybe that will be my new challenge after the marathon? I was thinking of taking up boxing, but soccer could also be fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. CEWTWO, I lost a twenty dollar bill in that parking lot, did the one you found have a picture of Jackson on it? Mine had a picture of Jackson on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that delicious photo! It is so sad that he was injured... but I'd be happy to nurse him back to health...

    ...now time to google...

    ReplyDelete
  9. and beer league softball is cross training too. lets not go ironman on us yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh..........that man is lovely......were there words on this post?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sweet Mother, thank you for that link :) Not the one about the soccer research. The one about the racier photos...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, every woman does love David Beckham: he is yummy! But Posh? Am I the only one who things she looks like a crack addict in that pic? At the very least, she looks like she accidently sat on something sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *drool* Now THAT is what I am talking about.

    OPh and soccer being a good cross trainer for running is pretty cool too.

    But Becks? Man oh man...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, maybe I'm off my rocker, but I think Victoria is freaking adorable. Maybe even more than David.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude, soccer is totally cross training, though I guess you don't have far to run across the pitch in indoor. Hey, at least you're playing more soccer than hot shot Becks nowadays!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.